Who Sells 90EP Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Toro 524 manual says to use SAE 90 EP gear oil in the auger gear case. This is what was posted on tractorbynet forum about substituting a regular 90W gear oil:

"The question in my mind is the Gl-4 or Gl-5. From what the guy at Mobil told me and what I read on google searches they are used for the same thing but different applications. Supposedly GL-5 has a high sulfur content and is not compatible with "yellow metals". Bronze, brass,etc. The Chevron Oil site has numerous warnings on using Gl-5 where Gl-4 products are specified and vice-versa."

The quest is who sells it, at a reasonable price, I can't seem to locate it. Does anyone sill make it?

EP should be GL-5?

I dont think it really matters if its 90wt or 75w90 but if you are worried about shearing I guess you could do 75w140.

"straight" 90w gear oil is hard to find IMO.. maybe tractor supply has it.

one of the performance subarus spec'ed it in the rear diff

Why don't you try a mower dealer? I know John Deere dealers carry it.

My preference is always synthetic because of the enormous resistance 85w-90w has in the cold. I also only use synthetic motor oil in the engine in my snowblowers.

Originally Posted By: Rand
EP should be GL-5?

I dont think it really matters if its 90wt or 75w90 but if you are worried about shearing I guess you could do 75w140.

"straight" 90w gear oil is hard to find IMO.. maybe tractor supply has it.

one of the performance subarus spec'ed it in the rear diff

It's the "Supposedly GL-5 has a high sulfur content and is not compatible with "yellow metals". Bronze, brass,etc. The Chevron Oil site has numerous warnings on using Gl-5 where Gl-4 products are specified and vice-versa."

There's a reason they spec out that particular oil.

Last edited:
it there yellow metals in the auger and mostgear oils are additized to prevent yellow metal corrosion with the GL5 oils.

Great article on the GL's

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

One paragraph, "When someone tells you that their GL
5 covers GL4, remember they are correct as far as EP
protection, but that is only half the answer. When they say their
Sulfur/Phosphorous additive will not
corrode the yellow metals, they are also correct, but if there are enough to meet GL
5 protection, they
will slowly peel away your brass synchronizers."

I can't find any GL4 in our town so I just order it from Amazon. My classic VW's all specify GL4 for the brass and bronze.

Originally Posted By: Quadrasteer
It's the "Supposedly GL-5 has a high sulfur content and is not compatible with "yellow metals". Bronze, brass,etc. The Chevron Oil site has numerous warnings on using Gl-5 where Gl-4 products are specified and vice-versa."

If there is such current statement, what's the context.

It's EP gear oils is claimed

corrode the yellow metals, they are also correct, but if there are enough to meet GL
5 protection, they

Superficially sounds plausible ........
but ..... does it equates a GL4 do not 'peal away' or 'peel lesser amount away' of brass synchronizers ?
What/where is the physics and mechanisms of synchronizer wear above ?
Is the above Delo Gear EP5 'peels more' ???
Current buffered additives in GL5 ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng

This is from the article that I posted above:

"When someone tells you that their GL
5 protection, they

5 protection, they

but ..... does it equates a GL4 do not 'peal away' or 'peel lesser amount away' of brass synchronizers ?

That's your opinion, do you know for sure that these oils do not have enough sulfur to damage the "yellow" metals? The answer is no...If you don't want to believe or agree with the info in that article that's up to you. I'm looking for a 90EP GL-4 oil or a known substitute.

Almost Everyone who dumped in here after my post above were talking about manual transmissions.

there are no synchros in a snowblower gear case.

If it calls for EP that is generally GL-5
GL-4 has antiwear additives but no extreme pressure additives.

Also a snowblower in the winter if you are using it for 3-4 hours at a time I would consider a
75w110 or 75w140. If you arent blowing 2ft of snow for hours at a time 75w90 would be fine.

So in summary EP and GL-5 are similar , EP and GL-4 would be a unicorn good luck.

5 protection, they

Come on, don't fraudulently put words that Widman has NEVER said in the article into his mouth !!!
Isn't English your native language ???

5 protection, they

That's your opinion, do you know for sure that these oils do not have enough sulfur to damage the "yellow" metals? The answer is no...If you don't want to believe or agree with the info in that article that's up to you. I'm looking for a 90EP GL-4 oil or a known substitute.

Go read up ASTM D 130 Copper Strip Corrosion Test sequence in API GL4 and GL5, then come back here.

Last edited:

5 protection, they

Come on, don't fraudulently put words that Widman has NEVER said in the article into his mouth !!!
Isn't English your native language ???

Are you looking for an argument with someone in the US?? I copied and pasted that info from his article, can you read???? Go to a Malaysian forum and argue, you are wasting our time!

Originally Posted By: Rand
Almost Everyone who dumped in here after my post above were talking about manual transmissions.
there are no synchros in a snowblower gear case.
If it calls for EP that is generally GL-5
GL-4 has antiwear additives but no extreme pressure additives.
Also a snowblower in the winter if you are using it for 3-4 hours at a time I would consider a
75w110 or 75w140. If you arent blowing 2ft of snow for hours at a time 75w90 would be fine.
So in summary EP and GL-5 are similar , EP and GL-4 would be a unicorn good luck.

So a non EP rated GL-4 is fine? I'm looking at the Red Line (50304) MT-90 75W-90 GL-4 Synthetic, is that a good choice?

Are you looking for an argument with someone in the US?? I copied and pasted that info from his article, can you read???? Go to a Malaysian forum and argue, you are wasting our time!

I rest my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back