Beretta 92s : used/ surplus 9mm pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buds, Classic and a few more sellers have these 80’s vintage 9mm used Italian military and police pistols for sale for roughly $300. Most I’ve seen have minimal holster wear and slight cosmetic blemishes but overall most look really nice. They have the euro mag release which I don’t have a problem with. The videos I’ve watched they just look well made and lightly used and the sound of the gun being racked just sounds right. The small sights leave a lot to be desired, but for a range toy, I think it would be cool to own one.

You don't want one in a .40. Berretta never changed the frames and the .40s are on the 9 mm platform and really tear up fast. I know Police that had them in .40 and went through several pistols in their carreer.
9 mm shoots forever.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
PSA was/is selling NEW 92FS guns for $449.

If you can accept the risk, Botach occasionally sells 92FS/M9 for $400 shipped ($375 + their mandatory $25 ship fee)

You'd be crazy to buy a Turkish copy for $50 less than the real thing.

It's brand new with a 1 year warranty. Same as Beretta offers. And it doesn't look like it was dragged behind a car.

Originally Posted By: billt460

It's brand new with a 1 year warranty. Same as Beretta offers. And it doesn't look like it was dragged behind a car.

The brand new berettas are only $50 more. The surpluss ones are $100 less, and I'd take either over the zenith personally.

To the OP I've been looking at them myself, and if I didn't already have a few full sized auto's I would be picking one up.

I bought a Turkey made Stoeger copy of the Berretta Couger in .40 Cal. Stainless. Seems like a very nice gun. Shoots flawless. Turkey makes nice guns. Berretta 92 9 mm I bought because I got a good deal at a pawn shop. One of the nicest guns I own. I didn't want one, but I love it. They are a beautiful feeling gun.

I can see collectiong guns. And that's where this 'could' fit..in a colection. My BIL has Hundreds of thousands of $$$$ in his collections. I doubt if he would buy this. Whats the point?

Certainly wouldn't carry it..at least I wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: Al
I can see collectiong guns. And that's where this 'could' fit..in a colection. My BIL has Hundreds of thousands of $$$$ in his collections. I doubt if he would buy this. Whats the point?

It's a nice new, good looking gun at a good price. For a range gun it would be hard to beat. And if after successfully discharging several hundred rounds downrange without a hiccup, why not carry it?

Originally Posted By: Al

It's a nice new, good looking gun at a good price. For a range gun it would be hard to beat. And if after successfully discharging several hundred rounds downrange without a hiccup, why not carry it?

Because when you carry it your life depends on it a big difference if you hadn't noticed!

I've been tempted with those inexpensive ex-Italian Police Berettas, but could never quite make the case for myself. I think the only reason I'd own one is for the collector/novelty of having an M9 (ish). Maybe one day, but for now, there are other range toys that I'd want more.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Because when you carry it your life depends on it a big difference if you hadn't noticed!

You seem to be somehow trying to correlate low cost and foreign production, with unreliability. That's not the case. For example, some of the lowest cost 1911's on the market are Philippine manufactured Rock Island Armory 1911's. Many people carry them. They are also some of the most dependable. Mine is one of the best running 1911 pistols I own. And I only paid $357.00 out the door. I would "trust my life" to it over several other 1911 pistols I own from other manufacturers that cost many hundreds more, and were made here. This Beretta clone is no different.

The Turkish guns generally aren't copies, they buy the old tooling from Beretta, Tanfoglio, H&K, or Walther, or whomever, and make what's essentially a licensed copy or an improved derivative. Stoeger is actually a business unit within Beretta - do you think they'd buy knock-offs of their own products?

If you're buying surplus 92's, at least replace the locking block and the main spring. When the mainspring claps out, the slide bashes into the frame and locking block, and this is where you get the reputation that slides crack and locking blocks break.

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus
If you're buying surplus 92's, at least replace the locking block and the main spring. When the mainspring claps out, the slide bashes into the frame and locking block, and this is where you get the reputation that slides crack and locking blocks break.

If I bought that old surplus 92, I would completely rebuilt it top to bottom. All new springs, replace any worn parts, new gen 3 locking block kit, new grips and replace the rusty grip screws, three new magazines to go with the pistol. And then after all that, it would suck to realize that I could have just bought a brand new 92FS from Palmetto State Armory ($449) for about the same cost or just a smidgen more.

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus

If I bought that old surplus 92, I would completely rebuilt it top to bottom. All new springs, replace any worn parts, new gen 3 locking block kit, new grips and replace the rusty grip screws, three new magazines to go with the pistol. And then after all that, it would suck to realize that I could have just bought a brand new 92FS from Palmetto State Armory ($449) for about the same cost or just a smidgen more.
I found a couple of the 92's at a local gun shop. First time I got to actually look at one and I like the feel, the smoothness, and the look, but the sights are so tiny I decided it wasn't for me. Like Bubba has suggested, I'm considering the 92FS, new and on sale this week for $449 from PSA. Does anyone know what sort of warranty Beretta offers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back