running, elevation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for any runners or fitness buffs. My 14yo daughter just qualified for the state Cross Country meet. We live at 1280' elevation, and the meet will be held on the other side of the state at about 3200'. Obviously, going from sea level to Denver would be tough, but will this elevation difference be enough for her to notice? If so, anything special she should do to train for it? She only has a little over a week. Thanks.

Probably too late to do anything to train for it. There's a slight advantage from higher altitude, that's why the Kenyans win all the time, higher altitude, thinner air, more red blood cells for oxygen so they do better at lower altitude. If you had more time, you could invest in an altitude tent or other altitude gear.

Thought I remembered something and found this: http://www.wenzelcoaching.com/blog/basics-training-competing-at-altitude/

If you don't have time to acclimate then show up for the race at the last minute. He also says to avoid effort above lactate threshold because it's harder to recover. She shouldn't go out too fast and have to back off. I'll bet going from 1300 to 3200 she won't even notice it.

Way back when i ran cross country, i made regionals several times, and the state meet once.

My experience is that these state meets almost always start out too fast.( in fact at a regional meet , one school had a runner blast the first mile knowing he would fade out, it was to see who else of the top runners would burn out with him).

She should concentrate on running her own race and pace. The ones that take off on adrenaline, because its a state meet, are toast at the midway point. Run her own race. If they take off and die 1/2way she can pace and have a reserve for the end. If they are that fast then it won't matter anyway. The altitude will play into her running her own race.

I would think a cross country runner would notice it. Not a significant difference but somewhat noticeable. Other than training for a week or two at the higher elevation, not much else can be done.

If you can run the actual course I'd do that or atleast at that elevation, then she can know how she feels at different sections and get a feel for what running with ~7% less oxygen is like. I imagine if she runs her normal race pace to start it might be hard to finish well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back