Ashland / Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to understand the relationship of Ashland and Valvoline or lack there of? From what I can figure Ash has split from Valvoline is this correct? Anyone know why? Also did Ashland own Valvoline in total? And was it from the beginning of Valvoline as a company?

I tried to google search this but could not quite find what I was looking for.

In May 2017, Ashland successfully separated its Valvoline business, the final step of reorganizing itself as a global specialty chemicals company.

Ashland wanted to concentrate on chemicals so they spun off Valvoline. Keeping it simple is a good way to go while everyone else is going the opposite direction.

Get a job in plastics. The future is in plastics.

So who owns Valvoline? Are they now self owned? I see they are trading on NYSE as VVV.

If they are fully separated from Ashland, I may remove them from my ban list.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Thanks Mr Robinson.
lol.gif

What Ashland did with Valvoline is similar to what Conoco Phillips did with its refining business a few years ago. One difference is that Phillips 66 continues to make lubrication and chemical products, while I believe Valvoline sticks with refinery related products. If the pattern follows, there could be money to be made with Valvoline. Phillips 66 (PSX) has more than tripled in price since its spin off. I wish I'd held the stock longer before I cashed in.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

It probably would have been too much to expect them to make kayaks the way Eskimos do: chop down trees to make the frames and kill baby seals to make the skins.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
It probably would have been too much to expect them to make kayaks the way Eskimos do: chop down trees to make the frames and kill baby seals to make the skins.
And they probably didn't strap the kayaks to bicycles or walk them there to get them to the protest.
They just don't want oil rigs so close to them, thats all. Near somebody else is fine, just not near them. Can't have that.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Thanks Mr Robinson.
lol.gif

Non-recyclables.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I am trying to understand the relationship of Ashland and Valvoline or lack there of? From what I can figure Ash has split from Valvoline is this correct? Anyone know why? Also did Ashland own Valvoline in total? And was it from the beginning of Valvoline as a company?

I tried to google search this but could not quite find what I was looking for.

Valvoline is now its own company owned by no one but itself, previously Ashland owned Valvoline.

Valvoline now has its own shareholders and stock. You can buy Valvoline stock on the stock market.

That pretty much sums it up. Two separate companies.

With that said, Ashland, like a lot of companies, owns a HUGE portion of Valvoline stock shares. So is pretty much in control of the company since it has so many shares, Ashland can vote anyone they want into the board, CEO etc.

This explains it all, click

Trading near the IPO price (unless I missed a split ...), so they got that right. Prolly a solid hold stock. They won't be going out of business. The question is can they make shareholder return ... Dividend is 5% and they have gained about 13% in the last year, so maybe more upside
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back