0w30 or 5w30 for 0w20 specked car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on going grade higher on the next oil change. Not sure either go 0w or 5w. As far as start up temp i’m Not concerned as I live in TX. Looks like 5w has better NOACK compared to 0w so this is plus. What would you suggest folks?

Originally Posted By: parshisa
That is 20 weight, not 30

So you ran 20 weight all through the hot Texas summer but now with winter coming you want to switch to 30?
Can you share your logic with us? Are your cars using oil?

Last edited:
Prius manual says you can go to 5w-20 instead of 0W-20 assuming it is still fancy-pants oil in an emergency and only for one change. If it's that bad, why would they let you use it even once?

Until upwards of 200K I'd be running 5w20 unless I was working the engine real hard, even in the heat. I've done recurring maintenance on four different J35A6/7's and with three of the four over 160K they give no feedback that the 5w20 I put in them is too thin.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

So you ran 20 weight all through the hot Texas summer but now with winter coming you want to switch to 30?

I think the OP has discovered there is a fuel dilution issue with one or both of his Hondas and a 30 weight oil might offset some of the viscosity dilution.

Last edited:
No need to seek for the logic. Just want to go higher on vis. Winter is not a concern, this is TEXAS

FD is definitely a concern. I also want to see if the engine will sound better - metal sound makes me aick

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

I think the OP has discovered there is a fuel dilution issue with one or both of his Hondas and a 30 weight oil might offset some of the viscosity dilution.

Good thing you spoke for him. Anything else you want to tell us about him?

Looks like we’re getting biased here. Ok, yes there’s fuel dilution, and yes I want to try to offset it some. Yes, engine sounds a bit [censored] to my taste, hope thicker oil will do better job with that regard. That’s it. Back to initial question: would 0 or 5 make a difference? Personal previous experience supported by UOA is appreciated

Looks like we’re getting biased here. Ok, yes there’s fuel dilution, and yes I want to try to offset it some. Yes, engine sounds a bit [censored] to my taste, hope thicker oil will do better job with that regard. That’s it. Back to initial question: would 0 or 5 make a difference? Personal previous experience supported by UOA is appreciated

Except the UOA in question didn't show ANY fuel dilution...

No now that we know your reason its seems logical. Good luck.

Assuming they are the cars in your signature you'd best stay with what the manual says for warranty purposes! Don't lose sleep over it, they test these cars harder than anyone drives them on the street to make sure the oil is up to the task to take anything thrown at it.

Considering the two oils in your sig, if you stay with the Amsoil, I would run the 5W-30 due to its lower NOACK when compared to 0W-30. Personal opinion here (all have been warned), if noise is a concern of yours then I would avoid M1.

I’d assume no issues. Check some of the global oil recommendations for your application... I bet their oil charts will show various approved grades for various temperature ranges. I’m currently running 5w30 in my Prius, and it’s 0w20 “recommended” in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back