The best "UNIVERSAL" catalytic converter????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure you guys could help me out on this one. I'm on the market for a very good universal catalytic converter that I could weld to a custom mid-pipe I plan on getting made and would like to pass emissions. Piping will be 2.25" in the custom mid-pipe. Even though I will be in an emission free county I would still like to pass. I recently installed a aftermarket header that removes my primary cat on my '07 Scion TC and I'm still currently running my OEM mid-pipe with the secondary cat on there. I do get that go-kart smell when I'm in idle though.

I'm curious if there are aftermarket cats that actually lasted a long time and of are good quality? Feed back from your experiences would be highly appreciated.

I installed a Walker direct fit y-pipe with 2 converters on my '02 Ranger somewhere around 4 years/60K miles ago and it's still doing good. I have used other Walker and Dynomax parts and have nothing but good to say about them.

If you cared about the environment or the air you and your neighbors breathe, you wouldn't have taken it out.

The problem with aftermarket cats is that they don't have to meet the same warranty requirements as OEM. The manufacturers have to make their cats last 8/80k under federal emissions warranty and they're designed to last at least that long and usually much longer if properly maintained. To do that, there's a lot more material in the converter which makes it more expensive. No aftermarket convert is going to meet the same standard because it's going to cost a lot more and by the time you hit the aftermarket, the owners are looking for something cheap. That's why they typically only have a 25k warranty on the converter and a 50k warranty for structural integrity. The EPA figures that by the time the 2nd one really goes, that's going to be about it for the car.

I have a Magnaflow 3" HiFlow cat on my 83 Silverado that I have been running for 10 yrs now, driving in Cali I have to do smog tests every 2 yrs, no failed tests yet.
thumbsup2.gif

You don't say where you live but if you're in CA like me, the number on the converter must match the number on the hood sticker. Getting a universal will not pass.

If it doesn't get hot enough it won't work. IDK if a 2.25" pipe will flow "too well" for it to get hot, but coupled with distance from the engine, that could be your issue.

If your rear o2 sensor is in front of the rear cat (like my camry) a spark plug anti fouler will take care of the light.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it doesn't get hot enough it won't work. IDK if a 2.25" pipe will flow "too well" for it to get hot, but coupled with distance from the engine, that could be your issue.

If your rear o2 sensor is in front of the rear cat (like my camry) a spark plug anti fouler will take care of the light.

I was wondering about the heat issue as well for it to perform correctly. The rear O2 sensor is mounted on the pipe about a foot away from the secondary cat. I already have a CEL 90 degree elbow eliminator where the rear O2 sensor mounts so the CEL is not activated. I just wasn't sure if there is a universal cat that would be good for my setup I'm going for.

Unless you get a CARB-compliant cat - and Ozone Transport Commission states that follow most of CARB's regulations also mandate them for aftermarket replacement on newer cars no aftermarket cat will last as long as OEM. Federal cats don't have as much precious metal loading or construction as the CA units do.

Since you're in a non-emissions area, you can get high-flow metal matrix cats from Flowmaster and Magnaflow. I'd just get an appropriately-sized cat. I used Walker and that helped me pass smog but killed performance. If I had to do it again, Magnaflow.

I'm leaning towards a direct fit magnaflow cat but I've read that the California cats they offer are loaded with more metals to curb even more emissions . Not sure if you can get one for a non California vehicle? Anyways, I'm still on the hunt for a decent cat.

I think Magnaflow makes quality products, but doesn't do as much test fitting as Walker in some cases. I initially bought a direct fit Magnaflow for my Ranger, but it would not clear the shift cable. I contacted them about it and they said they had other complaints about fitment on FFV 3.0 Rangers...all of which are automatics. All of the non-FFV 3.0s that year were manuals. I suspect it was only ever tested for fitment on a manual trans truck. I returned it for the Walker, which fit perfectly. Not mandrel bent like the Magnaflow, but it fits. I bought a Dynomax (Walker) cat-back exhaust system for another Ranger I had and it also fit perfectly, along with a few Walker direct fit converters for various GM cars and trucks (GMT800s, W-bodies, etc.) I have bought for customer cars...never a problem.

Originally Posted By: crazy_raccoon
I'm leaning towards a direct fit magnaflow cat but I've read that the California cats they offer are loaded with more metals to curb even more emissions . Not sure if you can get one for a non California vehicle? Anyways, I'm still on the hunt for a decent cat.

If you know the part number, you can order it off RockAuto or Amazon.

In NY, you can get get CARB cats as they are mandated for newer cars with 50-state emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back