How serious is "Filter Switching" in the business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I be concerned? Seems like something a used car salesman would do, not Walmart Express lube.

Last edited:
I doubt the oil change monkeys at Walmart care about increasing profits for the worlds largest corporation. They might have installed the wrong filter by mistake or it was out of stock so they substituted something else.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I doubt the oil change monkeys at Walmart care about increasing profits for the worlds largest corporation. They might have installed the wrong filter by mistake or it was out of stock so they substituted something else.

I'm sure that was necessary...

I think you'd have a bigger chance of them not changing it. I'm guessing if they replace it, they'll get it right. Either way I would always check to make sure I got what I paid for, you know most people won't and that's what they're banking on if they do it.

If Walmart Express Lube already uses the cheapest oil filter on the planet (SuperTech filter), then what could they switch it to that would be worse? They don't sell or handle Purolators at least (the worst).
Are you talking about switching to an undersize oil filter that still screws on? That has happened.

Last edited:
Oh there are cheaper and worse filters than Supertech.
smile.gif

You get a basic economy filter just like at any quick lube. I usually take a sharpie and date mine so if I needed to take it somewhere it's easy to see if it's been changed.

Contrary to many beliefs most of the guys/gals working there are competent enough to change your oil, and I commend them for working and earning a living. Size makes little difference for the length most people go between oil changes. What's most important is the bypass pressure in the filter, especially in the winter.

My wife has two close friends who have owned their cars since new and they both use a quicklube chain for their oil changes. Both cars are at or near 100k and still run like new. Most vehicles on the road today are being serviced by quick lubes and lasting a very long time.

Hey Vern:
Do you mean cross referencing a filter?
That would open the installer up to a heap of liability if there were a problem.
As someone in "the business" it's something I never do.
I doubt it's a serious problem.
Have you experienced an issue with "Filter Switching"?
Tell me where the bad installer touched you, Vern.

Walmart TLE has never given me pause when I've gone there for service. Too many corporate lawyers keeping them on their toes.

However, I almost universally distrust franchise chains, or regional companies that provide preventative auto maint.

What do you mean by "filter switching"? Using a non spec oil filter?

Quick lubes and some indies do consolidate/downsize many oil filter applications now as SOP. Not really switching, just using the application called for based on the filters QLs have and use.

While not my favorite practice if filter is downsized from vehicle spec, in a regularly maintained (oil and filter change} engine likely not a big deal.

Many express lube shops will cross reference as many filters as possible so they don't have to carry as much inventory.

My sonata was purchased used from a Ford Dealer, and they used a valvoline filter that was shorter than OEM for sure.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I'm sure that was necessary...

Verses what? The shade tree mechanics on BITOG? Gotta love the attitude against those who perform services on behalf of those who for whatever reasons do not want to do it themselves......

Last edited:
Yeah, I this was going to be about the wrong filter in the box. Like a regular Fram filter in a Fram Ultra box. That's also filter switching...

Most of the time we use a the FRAM COR (Special made fram for JUST Wallyworld TLE) that is specific to the car. The only time we dont ask the customer is if the car has a very specific oil filter we dont have on stock. Like the Toyota Tundra with the element filter, KIA sorrento with the element filter, and a lot of German cars. I will try to "upsell" on cars that are running synthetic and are newer. Lets say you bring in your New Ford or Chevy. I ask you if you would like a Motorcraft or ACDelco and you say "sure". That "upsell" actually hurts the sales because of overhead. Yes it was more expensive but we get those Fram Cors so cheap. Also most AcDelco or Motorcraft oil filters are 3.97. We refund you the cost of the Fram (around 2.12? IIRC). So that "upsell" only costed the customer about $2, and we lost a bit of money. At the same time IDC since Walmart makes more than enough $$$ and I know that those filters are better, that the customer will be happy from an engine repair.

...otherwise we will be forced to assume that he is referring to roving gangs of homeless children who crawl around parking lots looking for Fram Ultras, steal them, put Tearolators in their place, and sell the used Fram Ultras on the black market to prolific BITOG cut-and-posters.

50.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I agree CKN. I am glad that people are willing to work and work hard out there.

Exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back