Streamlight vs Fenix flashlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the better quality light and why? They seem very comparable and in the same price range. I'm having a hard time finding out if Streamlight tail buttons can be lightly pressed for momentary on/off without actually having to click it. Fenix clearly states which models have this feature on their website(this momentary on/off feature is a must for me). I have no experience with either brand and I'm curious which might be considered better overall quality and durability? Thanks for the input!

P.S. Is Surefire worth considering? Any other brands? Thanks!

We use probably 100+ Streamlight Strions at work. I have 3, and bought my wife a regular one and one with large lens for dog walking. I have never had a problem: work great. Have been recharging 1 of them for at least 5 years. Strion butt button cans be depressed for momentary light, as long as you hold it there. 3 brightness levels. I think the newer ones are about 200 lumens. I dont want for another light: these suffice nicely. Great rechargeable battery. Have both 120v and 12v chargers.

I found a used Streamlight flashlight about 5 years ago. It was working but was very dim. I purchased a charger for it and use the flashlight regularly. It has never failed me and still holds a strong charge after 5 years of use with unknown prior use.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
P.S. Is Surefire worth considering?

Only if you want the absolute best.
I agree. My Surefire Z2-S flashlight has been flawless in all the years I have had it. It has been used and abused and thrown and dropped countless times and still works as good as the day I bought it.

Fenix - Made in China. I dropped a Fenix once and it broke. They would not fix or replace it and told me too bad. This was about 7-8 years ago. Their service policy might be better or worse now, I am unsure. It soured me of the brand, and I dont buy them anymore.

Streamlight - older stuff/more expensive stuff made in USA. Lots of newer stuff made in China. No questions asked warranty. I sent in a broke Strion, they sent me back a working Strion a few days later. I sent in a 20 year old non-working Stinger, and they completely rebuilt it with all new parts and sent it back to me in a few days. Great company. Great warranty.

Surefire- made in USA. Expensive. Good warranty. I've only broken two switches and they send new switches no questions asked without having to send it in for repair. Decent company (not as good as they used to be), good warranty.

Malkoff and Elzetta - Lights built like tanks. Wont need a warranty, because it wont break. I have an Elzetta that is 10 years old and it is a beast. Always works. Period. No questions asked warranty should you need it.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
What is the better quality light and why? They seem very comparable and in the same price range. I'm having a hard time finding out if Streamlight tail buttons can be lightly pressed for momentary on/off without actually having to click it.

I like Streamlight over Fenix every time personally. Almost every Streamlight I am aware of uses the light press on the tail button to turn on momentarily, full press to turn on.

What is your price range? What kind of light are you looking for? ... so we can offer some advice.

My opinion is that Surefire is better then Streamlight or Fenix. Streamlight is better than Fenix.

Thanks everyone! My price range is up to $300. I have an HDS Systems light that is a beast and very high quality but has failed twice and has to be sent back again for random malfunctions. It was $200 I think. The Fenix and Streamlight seem really good power wise and priced well. I keep hearing Surefire is good quality but have not kept up with the advances in technology very good and are behind the times and over priced.

Surefire is more known in the shooting community, so it is extremely overpriced for the product. It would be like getting the Nav system in a car that costs $1000 and is not even better than a smart phone from 10 years ago. Because they're so pricey you may even feel guilty using it, and becomes the same as a garage queen car.

Streamlight is more for trades, so is also solid, but may also be a couple generations behind in tech.

Fenix is more the cutting edge, so will be the most innovated of the brands coming out with new stuff. Warranty (despite bubbatime's experience) is usually top notch, but that is also dependent upon you buying from authorized dealer.

In particular, fenix should be the most efficient LEDS that give you the most lumens for your electrons; access to 18650 rechargeable or other form factors and better regulation(same brightness until the batteries are really drained).

A lot of your decision depends on what you need and what is important to you. Do you want the latest and greatest? or are you happy buying something older and maybe not as efficient, and what someone made 5years ago sounds good enough for you.

Note: I own several from each of the brands.

I will say if you are thinking this hard on it and want something without compromises, your minimum MUST be LED based light with regulation.

If you don't think these features are important; then just treat it as disposable and get a $15 3pack of LED lights costco or other superstore and should a light break on you, you have 2 more as spares.

Last edited:
Regarding your qeustion on clicky tailcaps versus tactical taicaps .
The tactical lights tailcaps are momentary on (no matter how hard you press), and once released will go off.

The non-tactical ones from Fenix (and most other ones) that have tail buttons still have momentary on, but are clickies. Like a ballpoint pen it will stay on with a full press. But half-presses will still activate the light and allow you to strobe.
It you are in a tactical situation, you do not want the potential for fumbling for that sweet spot between half-presses and full-presses, or are using your thumb to strobe the light.

If you really aren't in a life-death situation, you'll prefer the clicky.

Last edited:
The new Surefire Tactician available next month looks like a REALLY nice "tactical" (non-clicky) light. I'll be ordering one. Supposed to be available with a tactical tailcap and a forward clicky tailcap too eventually.

Streamlight and Surefire have the best warranties. Not efficient or bright. Read reviews.
LEO ‘s tend to go with the flow and follow the leader which are Surefire and Streamlight.
Spelunkers/cavers I am with use Zebralights, Fenix, Olight or custom.
They are headlamps though. Bright, tint options, and very efficient.
Yes they are made in China but I’ve never seen a veteran caver with the two former .

Have a Streamlight Pro Tac 2L that I carry everyday on my pants pocket. This thing is indestructible. I use rechargable 123 batteries in it and have carried it at least 3 years. No clue what the lumens are but I know it is more than 200. Great light.

2 months ago I bought a Streamlight Stylus Pro for under $20, runs off 2 AAA batteries, about the size of a magic marker pen.

Bought a second one a week later.

I'm sold.
No more cheap flashlights for me.

I'd buy a Fenix although I haven't yet.. If you subscribe to their email list, it appears they have some pretty good deals.

I have a few D-cell Maglites and Mini-Mags, they're over 20 years old. They still work as well as new, but quite frankly, they suck compared to a modern flashlight. They were good back then, but so was AOL with a 28K modem.

Bought a Cliplight last year, its a turd.
Larry light? Meh, not worth half a Stylus Pro

If you haven't tried a modern LED flashlight yet, buy a $20-35 Fenix or Streamlight.
It's money well spent.

And if you want a BITOG-caliber flashlight forum, check out candlepowerforums.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back