Controlling Temp in 4Runner Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 4Runner. I have noticed that when I turn the temp know all the way to the coolest position, the fresh air blowing in is no where near as cool as the outside air. I've noticed I can get heated air by just barely moving the know towards the "red" heat zone. Is there some way to make sure when I turn the knob to the coolest setting, I can be assured I am getting the coolest air coming into the interior? Is there some wire or not I could tighten or loosen?

Unless you run the AC, the air coming out of the vents is first picking up heat from the engine/firewall/cowl. This is why it's not as cool as if you just open the window.

It might need a new heater control valve. Easily diagnosed and cheap to replace on some vehicles, but not all.

Some toyotas have a cable operated heater control valve under the hood that controls the flow of coolant to the heater core. Over the years the cable can stretch and not fully close (or open) You adjust the cable by adjusting both ends or if you're lazy like me you can adjust just one side and get it to 100% closed (cool) and 95% open (heat).

This happened on my Honda, a simple adjustment under the hood made the ac much colder.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I have a 2002 4Runner. I have noticed that when I turn the temp know all the way to the coolest position, the fresh air blowing in is no where near as cool as the outside air. I've noticed I can get heated air by just barely moving the know towards the "red" heat zone. Is there some way to make sure when I turn the knob to the coolest setting, I can be assured I am getting the coolest air coming into the interior? Is there some wire or not I could tighten or loosen?

What is with you and the word know ?
grin2.gif

The "b" and the "w" are so close on the keyboard. You knob what I mean?

Originally Posted By: Gebo
The "b" and the "w" are so close on the keyboard. You knob what I mean?

The B and the W are no where near each other! What the heck ?
crackmeup2.gif

Is the AC on? If it is, sounds like an AC issue. Would want to check the pressures.

If the AC isn't on, sounds normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back