Recent (2017) QSUD UOA/VOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a bunch of us scoring QSUD in various grades, I thought it pertinent to look up any recent reviews of the oil.

Most of the recent threads/posts I see with any kind of analysis dates back to 2013, often referencing the old clear bottles.

For the clearance price + rebates, I do not doubt the bargain, I am just curious as to how much of a bargain this oil is.

The old reviews consider it one of the best "sleeper" oils. Has a low NOACK number (still not totally sure what that means) and the rest of the numbers seem on par for comparable oils.

I've got this QSUD 5w-30 in my Toyota Corolla. I put it in early for my normal winter October OCI. At 421 miles I noticed a drop on the stick. My Corolla is a very low oil user. So I check my PCV and it was really bad. I replaced it and topped my oil back out. Its been nearly 1600 miles since then and I have no noticeable oil drop since then. The 421 mile drop had been 4 Oz. That to 6 ounces would be my whole drop for a normal OCI. We'll see what happens.

I normally don't do UOA because of the cost. But I'm going to check this one just to see how this one works out for me. That should be around the last of April to the first part of May. I'll post the results when I get them.

I'm still waiting on my QSUD rebate. Its nearing two months now.

Last edited:
Hi Johnny,

Did you replace the pcv valve with an oem unit or something else? I need to replace the one in the Matrix.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hi Johnny,

Did you replace the pcv valve with an oem unit or something else? I need to replace the one in the Matrix.

Yes I got an OEM replacement. It was a piece of cake to do and I know I don't have your mechanical skill.

The oil has finally turned enough that I can read the dip stick but its just a light honey color now.

I just go by engine feel, fuel mileage and power production. Seems to do well on all points. I use it interchangeably with Magnatec as two great "synthetic" oils for a discount price.

I will say the best winter oil I've used was Motul EcoNergy 5w30 A1,B1 B5 about 12 years ago. Back then the KV100 was a marginal 20 grade. 5 below F, car started and ran like it never even knew it was cold.
Nine quid a Litre, though.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I've got this QSUD 5w-30 in my Toyota Corolla. I put it in early for my normal winter October OCI. At 421 miles I noticed a drop on the stick. My Corolla is a very low oil user. So I check my PCV and it was really bad. I replaced it and topped my oil back out. Its been nearly 1600 miles since then and I have no noticeable oil drop since then. The 421 mile drop had been 4 Oz. That to 6 ounces would be my whole drop for a normal OCI. We'll see what happens.

I normally don't do UOA because of the cost. But I'm going to check this one just to see how this one works out for me. That should be around the last of April to the first part of May. I'll post the results when I get them.

I'm sure several of the recently submitted QSUD rebates will be delayed to the overwhelming volume.

Alls well though, either way the oil was a bargain!

Good to hear it's holding up well, I plan on using the 0w20 and 5w30 QSUD in the Matrix. The Defy and 10w30 QSUD will go into the Z and G20

I was pleasantly surprised when my Quaker State rebate showed up in only 4-5 days!
laugh.gif

Dumc87 your Matrix has the same engine as my Corolla. It's been a very good engine for me. The engine seems very quite and smooth on this 5w-30. In the spring I'll change back to my summer oil I usually run a 10w-30 from May to October.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I was pleasantly surprised when my Quaker State rebate showed up in only 4-5 days!
laugh.gif

Well that has me wondering I've always found these rebates to be iffy sometimes you get them and sometimes you don't. With information technology what it is today there is no reason for that other than they've engineered it into the system in my opinion having worked in IT for 29 and half years.

Last edited:
Dumc87 your Matrix has the same engine as my Corolla. It's been a very good engine for me. The engine seems very quite and smooth on this 5w-30. In the spring I'll change back to my summer oil I usually run a 10w-30.

Our engines are similar, but I believe you have the 1ZZ-FE whereas I have the 2ZR-FE; regardless, the oil experience should be near identical
laugh.gif

Maybe Shell being right down the road from me is why I got it so fast too. I got my Pennzoil rebates within a week also
laugh.gif

Maybe Shell being right down the road from me is why I got it so fast too. I got my Pennzoil rebates with a week also
laugh.gif

Now you're just rubbing it in! lol

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hi Johnny,

If you have the 1ZZFE (1.8L) be advised that the Japan made vehicle and the North American made vehicle take different PCV valves.....ask me how I know....

I mailed off a virgin sample of QSUD 5W-30 last Friday. I don't know how long Blackstone takes, but I'm sure it will be a little bit longer before I get the results.

Maybe Shell being right down the road from me is why I got it so fast too. I got my Pennzoil rebates within a week also
laugh.gif

3 years later I'm still waiting for my Pennzoil rebate
33.gif
. Some how I don't think I'll see it
smirk.gif
. At least I've received all the Mobil rebates I've submitted
grin2.gif

Whimsey

If the sample is at Blackstone when they open in the AM, you should have it that evening by 5:30EST. I have dropped off probably 15 samples over the weekend to B-S, and 14 of them have come in by Monday afternoon.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I mailed off a virgin sample of QSUD 5W-30 last Friday. I don't know how long Blackstone takes, but I'm sure it will be a little bit longer before I get the results.

Definitely post up the results when you do! I'm sure a lot of us will appreciate it
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back