Please Rank These Fully Synthetic Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have the option of using these synthetic media oil filters. Please rank these with your first choice first, second choice second, etc. I'd rather limit any discussion to just these oil filters as these are the only ones I would consider purchasing. I know there may be some other great synthetic media oil filters but I only want your opinion about these specific ones. If you have reasons, you could type them beside them. For example, too expensive, hard to purchase, cheaply made, inferior bypass valve, cheaper anti-drainback valve, etc.

Listed in alphabetical order.

Amsoil EAO
Fram Ultra
Napa Platinum
TRD
Wix XP

Fram Ultra, all day every day.

Not that those other filters aren't good, but the quality, price and availability of the Ultra make it an easy decision for me.

Which ever filter you like the best . The two most important things about a filter is 1] that is doesn't fail and 2]the best oil filter is the air filter.

In your list, I believe the FRAM Ultra is the most efficient, followed by the AMSOIL EaO. The Wix and NAPA Platinum are, I believe, the same filter. No idea on the TRD, is there filtration information available on it? It is probably produced by Champ or M/H.

TRD is overpriced. Id say Fram Ultra followed by Napa Plat/Wix XP. No idea about Amsoils filter or specs.

How long do you plan to run it for and on what car?

I wouldnt bother running a Fram Ultra unless intrrval is minimum 10k miles. Ive used the TRD and it was ok but I doubt its worth the premium over the OEM filter or a cheap proselect for shorter intervals.

From your list:

1: Fram Ultra - readily available, cheapest regular retail price, excellent published filtration, excellent flow

2: Amsoil EAO - cost a little more than the Fram, may be harder to get "right this second", not sure of actual filtration and flow, but is supposed to be good.

3: NAPA Platinum/Wix XP: Same filter. Can be found for good price on sale, readily available, seems filtration numbers are not as good as other synthetic media filters.

4: TRD - No idea on price, availability or filtration. It may be a really good filter, I just don't know any info on it.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Fram Ultra, all day every day.

Not that those other filters aren't good, but the quality, price and availability of the Ultra make it an easy decision for me.

This. Not that any of the others are bad, but the price and availability of the other filters makes the Ultra an easier choice. I have nothing against Amsoil, but having to order stuff in advance of doing an oil change when it doesn't really save me any money is not something I'm a fan of. It would be one thing if I only did oil changes on one or two vehicles, but I service many vehicles for friends and family that spec different oil and filters. It is easiest just to show up at WalMart, pick out oil and filter, and have the receipt for them to keep with their records.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
How can any oil filter be too expensive?
I never can understand it.

It can be expensive relative to it's purpose. For example, I wouldn't put a $20 oil filter on a rusty car with 200k miles that burns/leaks oil.

1. Fram Ultra (lowest cost, highest efficiency)
2. Amsoil EaO (somewhat expensive, high efficiency)
3/4. Wix XP/Napa Platinum (poor efficiency)
5. TRD (really expensive, not great efficiency)
Not on your list, but also great choices that I've used-RP, Fleetguard Stratapore (Venturi for diesels if available), & Baldwin HPG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
From your list:

1: Fram Ultra - readily available, cheapest regular retail price, excellent published filtration, excellent flow

2: Amsoil EAO - cost a little more than the Fram, may be harder to get "right this second", not sure of actual filtration and flow, but is supposed to be good.

3: NAPA Platinum/Wix XP: Same filter. Can be found for good price on sale, readily available, seems filtration numbers are not as good as other synthetic media filters.

4: TRD - No idea on price, availability or filtration. It may be a really good filter, I just don't know any info on it.

Pretty much this order, with Amsoil even up with FU.

The low filtration of the Wix is just as good as OEM Toyota filters and efficiency will increase during 15000 miles of use.

You're in Canada; it'll be easy for you to find out. Source a RP or a Wix XP in Canada without a jobber discount, and you'll see.
wink.gif
Or, walk into Canadian Tire for an M1 filter when it's not on special.

Amsoil EAO
Fram Ultra
Napa Platinum
TRD
Wix XP

This is not my pick but I'm surprised no one posted the Micron and cost those would be my two deciding factors all the rest is horse pucky.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I'm surprised no one posted the Micron and cost those would be my two deciding factors all the rest is horse pucky.

If using those 2 factors, the Ultra will always win. The efficiency factor would put the WIX XP and NAPA Platinum tied for last since they are the same filter inside.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I never can understand it.

It can be expensive relative to it's purpose. For example, I wouldn't put a $20 oil filter on a rusty car with 200k miles that burns/leaks oil.

Or that you plan on, or it requires an oil change far sooner than the Ultra is capable of going, if a 3kOCI pick a filter better suited to that application than an Ultra.

Ultra
Ultra
Ultra
& Ultra

If you cut he amsoil or RP filter, you see that they're very very similar to the Ultra. Who makes them?

Fram Ultra,

Donaldson, Amsoil, Royal Purple
(Both Amsoil & Royal Purple are made by Donaldson for them),

Fleetguard

are all top-notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back