Penz plat not a group 3 or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It still technically classifies as a Group III base, despite being derived in a different manner from other Group III products like VISOM.

Doesn't say it's "not a Group III or II." It says it's different from OTHER Group II/III basestocks, or TYPICAL group II/III basestocks.

AFAIK the base oils they're producing with GTL are Group III or Group III+.

That’s not what it says. They are clearly comparing it to “other” Group II and Group III oils, not claiming it is something else.

Besides, the manufacturer is not the one who determines that designation.

I think what holding this out of Group V (other synthetic) is XOM pressure - then the issue that what was synthetized was a pure structure of Alkane (paraffin)and not a POE or AN or diester.

It IS different than other group III in that its is a textbook Synthetic not a fraudulent (i.e. marketing term) synthetic.

I am not talking about base oil performance here, just impropriety and obfuscation in API marketing.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I think what holding this out of Group V (other synthetic) is XOM pressure - then the issue that what was synthetized was a pure structure of Alkane (paraffin)and not a POE or AN or diester.

It IS different than other group III in that its is a textbook Synthetic not a fraudulent (i.e. marketing term) synthetic.

I am not talking about base oil performance here, just impropriety and obfuscation in API marketing.

This post makes no sense. First off, the Group is not intended to represent finished oils, that is a construct often seen here on Bitog but not the intention of the designations. Secondly, if this product is exactly the same as other Group IIIs then why would it be designated a Group V? No oil formulator would agree with your comments when viewed in light of the reason the Group designations exist in in the first place.

Lastly, your belief that the designation comes from some conspiracy by ExxonMobil is just.... well it is completely unsubstantiated and silly. Your circular reasoning that the designations ascribed by the API itself are are an obfuscation in their "marketing" is again linked to the misguided belief that the Group is directly representative of a finished product - which is a misunderstanding of API 1509 Appendix E. API 1509.

You say you aren't talking about base oil performance yet that is exactly what you should be talking about when discussing a Group designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back