2018 Toyota 4 Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about buying a 2018 4 Runner, possibly a TRD Pro if price and availability align. Or may possibly go with a base model SR5 or TRD Off Road. I did a short test drive. Seems solid. I like the full frame and old school Port Injection.

I originally wanted a 2014 FJ Cruiser, but missed the boat on that one and used FJ's are very expensive.

I know fuel economy and on road performance is not its' strong points. To nit pick I don't like the location of power winder switches up high on the door panel.

Seems durable and I believe it has a chance of living a longer life than its front wheel drive uni-body counterparts.

Dealers don't seem to be discounting very much. So I am feeling things out.

Looking to buy this winter as this in the last production year before the redesign.

You won't get much of a discount on this vehicle. You can find these from the car rental agencies on their used car lots-for a slight discount.

This are solid SUVs-body on frame.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an off lease or slightly used one to save a few bucks.

Be warned the seats are not that comfortable for long drives.

Last edited:
Good luck getting a discount on a 4Runner with one of the off-road packages.

Don't be too bothered by paying the price. They are good vehicles with terrific resale value.

I have an 03 V8 4Runner and it's absolutely bulletproof.

I’ve been pondering one as well, having previously owned a Tacoma.

They’re a solid body-on-frame vehicle, and one of the last few. The reliability is outstanding, and you’ve already mentioned the trade-offs in fuel economy and on-road manners.

You’re unlikely to get much of a discount on one, but buy whatever you’ll be happy with for the long term.

2017 4 Runners are $2500 off msrp while the 2018s are $500 off sticker. That's what being advertised. Hopefully you could get another $1000 off the 2017 and another $500 off the 2018 model.

Just be sure to follow all the tricks in the book like dickering at the end of the month etc.

We have had Toyota's as far back as I can remember. The first 4-Runner was a 98, next was a 2003. Then the design changed and we hated the tail lights so we bought a 2010 Sequoia. That was one beautiful suv. In 2015 we moved from FL to NC and needed a 4X4. We could not find a Sequoia 4 wheel drive in the color we wanted so we bought a Tundra Crewmax. My wife does most of the driving and loved driving it however it's use was mostly for food shopping. For that it sucked as reaching over the tailgate was too much for her. I searched and searched for months and finally found the exact same Sequoia we had in Desert sand color with 4 wheel drive. At 5000 mi we traded in the Tundra and now have our Sequoia back. I would suggest you take one for a test drive and you will never want to leave it.

I think we are going to buy one in the next couple of weeks, too. We test drove a Limited last week and nearly bought it, but I think we're going with an SR5 and throw some of the money saved towards some modest upgrades.

Have a look at this thread to see what others are paying...
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/154274-how-much-people-paying-new-4runner.html

Not much wiggle room on Pro pricing, but you can usually get any other trim level down to 5-10% below MSRP. Some markets are more competitive than others.

We have an '05 4Runner that we bought new in April 2005. The early 4.0s had some head gasket issues, and ours was one of the lucky few. Other than that, it has been great. Sitting right at 130k right now.

Check Edmund's.com for dealer cost,incentives,and prices others are paying in your zip code. Rough ride on pot holed city streets.

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
nauseatingly bouncy ride you will soon tire of

Simply not true. Maybe the one you rode in had bad, hard, over inflated or out of balance tires.....

I own a ‘15 SR5 and it’s the best car I’ve owned. People who disparage the ride may not have owned one. It’s quiet, solid, surefooted and built like a tank. I drove mine back and forth from Seattle to New York and it was a pleasure the whole way. Think about replacing the Dunlop tires as soon as you can, however.

I drove a customer's 4Runner the other day and it had a button that said Party Mode
crazy2.gif
Now I want one
smile.gif

I had a 4th gen (2006 V6 SR5) that I loved. When it came time to replace it, I test drove a 5th gen and I absolutely hated it. The 4th gen was no sports car, but the 5th gen wallowed around corners like a bus. If you still like it after a test drive, I'd say go for it.

We have a 16 LTD and really like it.
It took a bit to get used to as it feels mildly underpowered.
Solid ride but a compact feel to the interior.
My Tundra has gobs of space by comparison.

I'm not a Toyota fan at all, but the 4 Runner is the only one I'd consider (I even like it better than the FJ, the FJ had inner fender cracking issues). Very solid vehicle with great aftermarket support. Old school, which I think is refreshing. I agree that they don't get discounted much, but you'll also be able to sell it for more later on, so it all works out. Post pics when you get one.

I just put a deposit on a 2017 4Runner. I got it for 12.5% off MSRP before taxes/tags, but after dealer fees.

There were only two within 500 miles that met my wife's wants, so I think I came away with a good deal. If you don't think so, keep your mouth shut and allow me to sleep well at night. Thanks.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
I just put a deposit on a 2017 4Runner. I got it for 12.5% off MSRP before taxes/tags, but after dealer fees.

There were only two within 500 miles that met my wife's wants, so I think I came away with a good deal. If you don't think so, keep your mouth shut and allow me to sleep well at night. Thanks.
smile.gif

It's good you got a good deal and the vehicle you wanted.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: cpayne5

smile.gif

It's good you got a good deal and the vehicle you wanted.

Thank you, sir. We'll be happy with it, I'm sure.

I also like the oldschoolness of the 4runner. I looked at a limited version earlier this year. I was between 4runner, tacoma, xterra, and frontier. Ended up with the Frontier, but honestly the 4runner was a close 2nd choice. Its pretty interesting that they continue to use the 4.0 in the 4runner, but use the 3.5 in the tacoma.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I also like the oldschoolness of the 4runner. I looked at a limited version earlier this year. I was between 4runner, tacoma, xterra, and frontier. Ended up with the Frontier, but honestly the 4runner was a close 2nd choice. Its pretty interesting that they continue to use the 4.0 in the 4runner, but use the 3.5 in the tacoma.

Thanks for pointing that out - wasn't aware the Tacoma switched to a 3.5.

It is interesting. I haven't done much research, but I wonder if it has to do with manufacturing location? All 4Rs still come from Japan. Maybe there's something in that 3.5 drivetrain that is either not available in or cost prohibitive to ship to Japan for assembly in the 4R? Simply thinking out loud...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back