Battery Load Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I pull the fuel pump relay and crank the starter, how much voltage should the battery have at that time ? Neighbor told me it should have at least 10.5 Volts while under load cranking the starter.

I'll probably pick up a new battery tomorrow. Even though it takes a charge real easy, it immediately drops from 14.5 Volts to 12.2 Volts as soon as I shut the engine off. The battery still looks brand new. It's been living under the back seat for the last 12 years.

I never load my batteries unnecessarily, They generally give you ample warning before giving up on you on a regularly driven vehicle.....Like a slow start, Also watch for a lead/acid battery to "sweat" &/or "bulge".

Last edited:
Have you thought about something a little newer? Seems this vehicle is starting to give you issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Have you thought about something a little newer? Seems this vehicle is starting to give you issues.

It's been the best car I've ever had in my life. It's like GM's version of the V6 Camry. No complaints.

Yeh, something a little newer could never give issues. Certainly would never need a new battery.

My car needs a new battery, but then its 31 years old. What can you expect, eh?

Next thing I'll probably have to replace the contents of the fuel tank.

Nickle and dime, nickle and dime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'll probably pick up a new battery tomorrow. Even though it takes a charge real easy, it immediately drops from 14.5 Volts to 12.2 Volts as soon as I shut the engine off. The battery still looks brand new. It's been living under the back seat for the last 12 years.

The voltage drop doesn't sound that bad, but 12 years? It's time to start shopping for a new battery.

Yeah like others have said... A battery 12 yrs old doesn't owe you anything really. Batteries stored away from the engine compartment really hold up much longer as evidenced by your experience.

Batteries don't die like they used to. In the 80s and 90s you would get a few slow starts before the infamous "tick tick tick".

No they start fine then one day nothing. No dash lights no buzzer nada. Some wont even take a jump start.

My wifes 2004 camery did that to here. She drove to the store, it cranked fine when she came out the grocery store, 30 minutes later, battery dead as a door nail. This was 1 year in. Toyota replaced under warranty. 2 years later same thing happened at the day care.

Switched out for a Autozone Gold this time and it lasted 5 years but died the same way. No warning.

thats how the 12 year old diehard went in my f100.
just totally gone one morning.0v.
6 years of it with me and a 500w linear amp.
the replacement delco blew off a post after 1 week.and the exide lasted 6 months.
i got another diehard 27f and it left with the truck 6 more years later when i sold it.
just think if those diehards were mounted under the bed rather than under the hood with a 460!
and not being beat on with a demanding amplifier.

1.75v/cell is standard. That's 10.5V.

Some can go to 1.67v/cell under load. That's 10V.

I have a monitor plugged into my cigarette lighter and the power isn't cut when it cranks over and it shows 10.5v while cranking and then immediately snaps back to 12ish and then the alternator kicks in.

I remember the good old days where you could put the headlights on and crank over and if the lights dimmed a lot or went out completely the battery was toast, not that it's all controlled to turn-off during cranking you can't use that as a quick diagnostic.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

It's been the best car I've ever had in my life. It's like GM's version of the V6 Camry. No complaints.

Didn't you replace the top end of the motor?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I was told 10.5v in autoshop.

You'd be correct; 10.5 volts is the cutoff they use to check CCA.

Didn't you replace the top end of the motor?

No, just the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets and the upper intake manifold itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back