Cam Rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The rattle noise you hear – the internal phasers being knocked about without much oil to cushion them."
I've experienced this here lately and wonder if this can be mitigated or relieved.
If this is gonna be a biggy, I may just trade

Try different oils. The 3.3 V6 (a vvti engine) in our Toyota Sienna is pretty "ticky", especially at idle. I tried a few oils, Castrol Edge Extended Performance is the only one that really quieted it down.

Last edited:
GOOD LUCK THEY ALL GOT EM.

Though I hear the Coyote uses mechanical cam phase-r with no oil hydraulic retard.

It getting to the point you buy a good chassis and put in a fresh "old tech" crate motor in it and have at it with joy and comfort. I might use TBI though whatever todys version of Holley PRO-Jection is.

Folks, are there a/several different mechanisms of VVT other than Toyota's ?

Question is asked because I don't believe :
Quote:
"The rattle noise you hear – the internal phasers being knocked about without much oil to cushion them."

is valid in a typical Yota VVT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
Folks, are there a/several different mechanisms of VVT other than Toyota's ?

Question is asked because I don't believe :
Quote:

is valid in a typical Yota VVT.

Some Toyota engines use cam phasers. There are many ways to do VVT, Honda uses separate rocker arms to alter the valves rather than cam phasers, other manufacturers don't target the valves directly but retard/advance the timing in general by cam phasers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back