Supertech ST6607, Honda VT1100, 520 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Supertech 6607 with just over 500 miles on it from my 1994 Honda VT1100 motorcycle.
This was just a quick flush oil change using this filter and some Supertech 15w-40 since I just got the bike.

Filter:

Baseplate:

Coilspring:

Magnets I put on the end caught some stuff:

Filter media and combo valve:

Combo valve is pliable (as it should be with 500 miles):

Close up of media and seam:

Center tube with holes:

ST filter next to the Honda filter I took off when I got the bike. Big size difference.

The fitler worked, but is way small, and the combo valve design makes the filter area even smaller than other similar size cans.
This media was the same as the last ST I cut apart, easy to tear with my fingers with minimal pressure. Pushing 2-3x harder on the Honda Filter media resulted in no tearing. I was hoping the last ST media tearing was an isolated thing, but apparently not. No it did not fail, and probably would not in a
The filter was replaced with a Fram Toughguard 3593a and I used some of the clearance Peak 15w-40 oil. Not bad for a $5 oil change.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Even being smaller, that unit has way more filtering capacity than that engine needs.

Ditto. Even though it has a shared sump. That filter is used on 2.5L Nissans.

Does it come with the hard drive magnets
sick.gif

I have three Hondas and I put the largest filter that will fit the bike. On my '98 VT-1100-T I run the B161-S, '04 VTX-1300 runs a B1431 and my '03 Valkyrie runs the B168 Baldwin filter. Check out the size of these filters and see what will fit your VT100

ROD

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Even being smaller, that unit has way more filtering capacity than that engine needs.

Probably.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Does it come with the hard drive magnets
sick.gif

LOL, nope, that is extra.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I have three Hondas and I put the largest filter that will fit the bike. On my '98 VT-1100-T I run the B161-S, '04 VTX-1300 runs a B1431 and my '03 Valkyrie runs the B168 Baldwin filter. Check out the size of these filters and see what will fit your VT100

ROD

B161-S = PH2849A - thought it might be too long, but if you have it on yours, it should fit mine.
B1431 = PH 7317 or PH3593a (using a TG3593a, a little larger diameter than the 7317).
B168 = Same crossover on the Fram site as the B1431.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Will the ST9688 fit?
smile.gif

Yes, the 9688 is just a little shorter (3.08) than the 3593a (3.39), diameter is same, gasket size is same.

Not sure if the ST9688 has a combo valve or not.

Also, I will be sticking with filters that have a silicone ADV to use on the bike.
Bikes have higher oil temps (even though water cooled) than most cars, and heat kills nitrile ADV.
I have several of the TG 3593a in my stash. I will use the current on for 2,500 miles and cut it open.
After that, I will probably change it every other oil change (so 5,000 miles, which with a Toughguard should be fine.

^^^ Photobucket links don't work anymore since they went into ransom mode.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Heck, I thought the link would still work just not let you post the pic.

ROD

Seems to be working now, wasn't earlier.

If they made the center tube any wider, it would have been more media saved. Just make it all center tube and forget the media why don't they. Huge difference compared to the Toyota filters displayed on another thread. They have media probably twice as deep.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Never seen a filter that small with Wix's combo valve. Interesting.

Thats why the center tube is so big, to accommodate the combo valve.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Will the ST9688 fit?
smile.gif

Yes, the 9688 is just a little shorter (3.08) than the 3593a (3.39), diameter is same, gasket size is same.

Not sure if the ST9688 has a combo valve or not.

Also, I will be sticking with filters that have a silicone ADV to use on the bike.
Bikes have higher oil temps (even though water cooled) than most cars, and heat kills nitrile ADV.
I have several of the TG 3593a in my stash. I will use the current on for 2,500 miles and cut it open.
After that, I will probably change it every other oil change (so 5,000 miles, which with a Toughguard should be fine.

Wow! The 9688 is the size oil filter I use on my Montero.......

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back