internet woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early Saturday morning I'm surfing the net for awhile.
I shut it down for about 15 minutes then get on the computer again and no internet.
Cant connect and there is no internet icon to look at networks.
So I go to the other computer and all is fine.
Reboot the machine, reboot the modem, nothing.
My computer has a built in adapter.
So off to Best Buy to buy an external one.
stick it in the USB port, run the software and all is good.
I'm only posting this because I rarely fix computer issues myself.

Most likely a windows update that bunged up the internal network card. It's so common especially under windows 10.

you can roll back the driver update on the network card.

I have had to do that with my cheap dell laptop.

Then block that update from running again.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Most likely a windows update that bunged up the internal network card. It's so common especially under windows 10.

^^That^^

Go to the Device Manager and see if there is any exclamation mark. Whether the mark is there or not, uninstall the network card and go to ma-config.com (now it has become driverscloud.com) Let it detect hardware itself and then it suggests you driver's updates.

I have to do this ALL the time for my 8-year-old Toshiba machine. This is the only website that doesn't screw up for me.

On my desktop I have to always reload the driver for my phone. I think it's because MS put a wireless filter thing on. It' suppose to stop wireless interception or something. I should just delete that and see if it fixes the issue.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
Go to the Device Manager and see if there is any exclamation mark. Whether the mark is there or not, uninstall the network card and go to ma-config.com (now it has become driverscloud.com) Let it detect hardware itself and then it suggests you driver's updates.

I have to do this ALL the time for my 8-year-old Toshiba machine. This is the only website that doesn't screw up for me.

Those "drivers" sites are generally loaded with adware/malware, I'd be leery of such a process.

Generally, the manufacturer of the chipset has drivers available on their website if the OEM doesn't offer updated ones through their support portal.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn

How do you know you can trust this site, or any other non-vendor site with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back