Cast a quick vote, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Replacing flood vehicles after Harvey)

Choice 1) 2007 Dodge Ram, base model, single cab. Steel wheels. Appears to be in excellent condition. Only 75,500 miles. 3.7L V6. Sitting on a used car lot. $7500

Choice 2) 2007 Nissan Titan SE. Base model, single cab, alloy wheels. Appears to be in good condition. 115,000 miles. 5.6L V8. For sale by individual. $7500

I do not tow. I now commute only 5 miles to work. Help me decide, limited to these two only please.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nissan hands down.

I don't know about that, 40000 miles is a mighty big number to swallow at the same price, and OP doesn't tow.

FWIW the Dodge 3.7 is a durable engine with a good track record during its run, which lasted until 2012 in the Jeep Liberty. Downside is that 215hp doesn't move the truck as fast as a V8. Otherwise expect close to 20mpg if you take it easy (I had an 04 with that engine). Specified 5w30 originally, it's what I use in the GF's Liberty despite the back spec to a 20 weight.

EDIT: gfh, in either case I would have a qualified person check for flood damage before you purchase!!

Last edited:
You need to get into both and play with the toys then drive them. A vehicle you LIKE is worth a few bucks if one were to randomly happen to need an extra repair.

However I am baffled why you need a $7K5 single cab pickup to drive 5 mi to work with no towing, but at least the short commute means fuel economy isn't as important.

I'd sooner get an F150, maybe Silverado, V8, because the support community of people who really know their stuff instead of stating "it's XYZ so take it to a dealer", and greater low cost part support including junkyard parts.

IF I absolutely had to pick between these two, I'd go with the Dodge. The Nissan is eliminated because there's no way I'd pay $7K5 for a 10 y/o 115K mi base model, single cab pickup. However it seems strange to consider it a base model with the 5.6L.

I would keep looking. Patience is a virtue. If you must get a vehicle N O W, anything will get you 5 mi to work, get some $1500 beater to buy some time till the right vehicle comes along, then you can turn around and sell for about what you paid for it, maybe even more if you clean it up, and not have to carry full insurance coverage, so tax and fees wash out to no financial loss.

It's personal preference, but I wouldn't buy a half-ton with 215hp (and that's when it was new). I've driven sedans with 200hp that feel pretty anemic, I can't imagine that in a half-ton pickup.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

I do not tow. I now commute only 5 miles to work. Help me decide, limited to these two only please.

Why either of these if you don't tow and commute such a distance? Seriously.

If through whatever logic you must pick only these two, I'd buy the dodge. Condition plus mileage.

Personally I'd look for a nice condition next-gen 4.3 Silverado or GMC to add to the mix.

I don't know...I would lean towards the Nissan because of the standard 5.6 Endurance V8 (that and I have an aversion to Dodge).

If you read reliability and complaint stats for both, your going to find that Dodge at or near the bottom. Nissan a little higher. So I would choose the Titan.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Why either of these if you don't tow and commute such a distance? Seriously.

He just picked up a Fiesta, so I think he is looking to balance things out now.
smile.gif

Personally, I'd keep shopping, even if you have to travel to find one. I'd get a 4.3 Chevy like JHZR2 said.

But of those two, eh, I guess the Titan.

Used truck purchase comes down to three things: condition, condition, condition. It is hard to discern that w/o photos.
However, I would say to keep on shopping. Neither sounds overwhelmingly stunning.

I am personally wary of Nissan's reliability and although Chrysler is hardly a star in that regard the RAM platform is very well developed by the Model Years you are looking at.

215 HP might sound anaemic to someone who drives cars, but it's a pickup, not a race car. You can, believe it or not, drive them relatively slow (as in keeping up with the econoboxes with 10 second 0-60 times, and there are lots on the road, including 2017/18 models) and still enjoy the experience.

The other thing is truck motors are not tuned for HP, they are tuned for torque (which is what a truck needs) and at low RPM. Remember that RPM x Torque* is horsepower, so by tuning the motor for 3000 rpm instead of 6000 rpm is going to give you a low HP number, but it still might be a very drivable vehicle.

* I know, the formula is a bit more complex than that, but still, that's the essence of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back