Equifax hack - workforce solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted awhile ago that Equifax was storing more than just credit info, that they were also storing payroll data on people under their Workforce Solutions divisions.

While I have not seen any articles saying this info has been hacked, with Equifax recently admitting more people effected than first reported, they are not a company I would be trusting to tell the truth, if they even know the full extent.

Regardless knowing what is in your report and that it is accurate information should be something most people would want to do.

I just got back my free report from Equifax Workforce Solutions and it has my salary gross information for most of the companies I have worked for going back to 2016.

Given I work on mainframe computers so that means large corporations. Small companies that do their own payroll probably would not report payroll information to Workforce Solutions.

Last edited:
They really need to get off those hackable PC's and move back to mainframes. Hackable yes but much more difficult.

Last edited:
Just had some communication with a auto insurance agency. Your credit scores are one of the things used to set your insurance rates. All insurance companies use a third party to obtain this score. They ARE NOT obtained by the Insurance agency but a third party. For example-some insurance agencies use a company called "Choice Point". After research I have found out that Choice Point obtains the basis for scores through Transunion. However- The Insurance agencies as a rule do not know what sources the third party companies use to obtain the scores. So-in my case I froze my wife's and I credit file. I would have to "unfreeze" all three bureaus for an accurate insurance quote. Clearly-the insurance companies do not understand how to move forward after the Eqiufax breech. They should be able to tell us what credit bureau is used-so one would only have to "thaw" one account. There is an expense involved every time one freezes and thaw accounts.

I guess these third party vendors for the insurance companies have things set up with the credit bureaus in such a away-as to explain why when they look at your credit file it's a "soft pull" verses one that will show up on your credit report.

In short-it's mess to change insurance carriers or even to obtain a new quote.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
They really need to get off those hackable PC's and move back to mainframes. Hackable yes but much more difficult.

Unfortunately people in management look at the mainframe as legacy and all new stuff goes on distributed systems.

If they looked at the total cost of computing, mainframe probably costs less.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Just had some communication with a auto insurance agency. Your credit scores are one of the things used to set your insurance rates. All insurance companies use a third party to obtain this score. They ARE NOT obtained by the Insurance agency but a third party. For example-some insurance agencies use a company called "Choice Point". After research I have found out that Choice Point obtains the basis for scores through Transunion. However- The Insurance agencies as a rule do not know what sources the third party companies use to obtain the scores. So-in my case I froze my wife's and I credit file. I would have to "unfreeze" all three bureaus for an accurate insurance quote. Clearly-the insurance companies do not understand how to move forward after the Eqiufax breech. They should be able to tell us what credit bureau is used-so one would only have to "thaw" one account. There is an expense involved every time one freezes and thaw accounts.

I guess these third party vendors for the insurance companies have things set up with the credit bureaus in such a away-as to explain why when they look at your credit file it's a "soft pull" verses one that will show up on your credit report.

In short-it's mess to change insurance carriers or even to obtain a new quote.

While I know they do this, how is credit score relevant to auto insurance?

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
responsible people are responsible drivers, and they deserve lower insurance rates.

Why don't they determine vehicle insurance rates based on driving performance like they have for 50 years?

Yes, I understand what you are saying but when is enough going to be enough?

Bean counters (actuaries) will attempt to gather every possible metric, but what will stop them from a future of reviewing your DNA to see if you are peone to a stroke...however miniscule...as an excuse to jack your rates because you might suffer the stroke or other health emergency while driving.

Listen folks, what happened with Equifax is the tip of the iceberg...the bigger concern are the hacks we are not informed of and these CRAs are profit motivated which means they will do the absolute minimum to protect our data until they suffer very large punitive damages and this is not happening.

Data mining will only become more intrusive in the years ahead and the personal data on each of us will include facebook, twitter, photos, etc at the flick of a finger.

Its the modern times...get used to it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
responsible people are responsible drivers, and they deserve lower insurance rates.

Why don't they determine vehicle insurance rates based on driving performance like they have for 50 years?

Bean counters (actuaries) will attempt to gather every possible metric, but what will stop them from a future of reviewing your DNA to see if you are peone to a stroke...however miniscule...as an excuse to jack your rates because you might suffer the stroke or other health emergency while driving.

Listen folks, what happened with Equifax is the tip of the iceberg...the bigger concern are the hacks we are not informed of and these CRAs are profit motivated which means they will do the absolute minimum to protect our data until they suffer very large punitive damages and this is not happening.

Data mining will only become more intrusive in the years ahead and the personal data on each of us will include facebook, twitter, photos, etc at the flick of a finger.

grin.gif

Agreed. But my biggest complaint is that credit bureaus sell our data and profit billions of dollars for doing it. Yet-we are charged to "freeze" and "thaw" our credit-just to conduct routine business such as price shopping insurance. It should be noted that this (freeze and thawing) is an automated process-therefore it's a nominal cost to have us do this via computer-yet we are charged. The system is very messed up.

Last edited:

grin.gif

Agreed. But my biggest complaint is that credit bureaus sell our data and profit billions of dollars for doing it. Yet-we are charged to "freeze" and "thaw" our credit-just to conduct routine business such as price shopping insurance. It should be noted that this (freeze and thawing) is an automated process-therefore it's a nominal cost to have us do this via computer-yet we are charged. The system is very messed up.

Absolutely.

Your point is spot on.

And they get away with it by bribing...or rather lobbying our lawmakers.

ArcticDriver said:

Not to mention that you cannot check *your own* credit score without paying. Ridiculous.

Not that it matters; we already own a house, don't buy vehicles we can't pay cash for, and don't use credit cards, so what use is a credit score anyways?

grin.gif

sure, but whom did you vote for? It's my understanding the current administration want total deregulation.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
ArcticDriver said:

Not to mention that you cannot check *your own* credit score without paying. Ridiculous.

Not that it matters; we already own a house, don't buy vehicles we can't pay cash for, and don't use credit cards, so what use is a credit score anyways?

Well-back to my original post the insurance companies use them to determine how much of a risk you are. So the interesting question is - Are you less of a risk or more-since you pay cash and my credit score is over 800?

Last edited:
ArcticDriver said:

A credit report lets you know when someone has stolen your identity and is about to steal all of your money. Their favorite target is you--financially secure & lazy about guarding your data.

ArcticDriver said:

Well-back to my original post the insurance companies use them to determine how much of a risk you are. So the interesting question is - Are you less of a risk or more-since you pay cash and my credit score is over 800?

Interesting question which points out the limitations of equating credit score with driving habits.

Who is the safer driver? You with seversl lines of credit--revolving and fixed and who carries balances OR the guy with a low score only because his only recent credit history is possibly a mortgage?

Which of you is the safer driver?

Well we would need to look at traffic citations issued in recent years and accidents you have been involved in and claims made against the insurer to actually answer that question.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

grin.gif

sure, but whom did you vote for? It's my understanding the current administration want total deregulation.

There are only two people who can make our world safe...Chuck Norris and Ralph Nadir.

All this computer system hacking and personal information compromising is out of control.

Any company found to not be taking every precaution (yearly audits) and gets hacked should be heavily fined and made to pay for credit monitoring for at least 10 years.

Stop paying the CEOs millions of dollars for nothing and hire some good computer security experts and start protecting people's private information !!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
All this computer system hacking and personal information compromising is out of control.

Any company found to not be taking every precaution (yearly audits) and gets hacked should be heavily fined and made to pay for credit monitoring for at least 10 years.

Stop paying the CEOs millions of dollars for nothing and hire some good computer security experts and start protecting people's private information !!

+1000%

news flash:

Quote:
Hacked again? Equifax shares drop after possible new cyberbreach

Quote:
An independent security analyst told the website Ars Technica that he noticed the latest problem when he went to Equifax's site on Wednesday and found out visitors were redirected to download a fraudulent software update.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/12/equifax-shares-drop-nearly-3-percent-after-new-cyber-breach.html

I would like to hear an update about the executives selling stock before news were public. last time i checked, inside trading was criminal offense and the feds put Martha Stewart in jail for that.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
news flash:

Quote:
Hacked again? Equifax shares drop after possible new cyberbreach

Quote:
An independent security analyst told the website Ars Technica that he noticed the latest problem when he went to Equifax's site on Wednesday and found out visitors were redirected to download a fraudulent software update.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/12/equifax-shares-drop-nearly-3-percent-after-new-cyber-breach.html

I would like to hear an update about the executives selling stock before news were public. last time i checked, inside trading was criminal offense and the feds put Martha Stewart in jail for that.

They go to white collar resort prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back