Problems With Rustproofing Gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have used this gun for a couple of years with thin undercoating oil and have had no issues. Yesterday I tried spraying dripless undercoating oil which is somewhat thick and had waxy agglomerations in it. This is the place where I bought the oil
http://www.monarchoil.com/products.php?cat=11
The product is WSUNDDRI

It was 20C/70F ambient yesterday and the oil would just not come out of the gun. I turned the pressure up to 70 psi (did not want to go higher since I did not relish the thought of a oil bath) and the oil still would not flow.

I am thinking of buying a Schutz gun at Canadian Tire
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/schutz-siphon-gun-0475761p.html
Will it spray the dripless oil?

Start with the basics. There's not much to this...

Hose collapsed? That would be my bet.

Clog in outlet or intake?

Some sort of o-ring or seal?

If the gun is working properly the next step would be did you try thoroughly mixing and thinning the product?

None of the above. After realizing that the gun would not spray the thick oil I filled the container with thin oil and had no problem spraying it. With the thick oil air would come out out not the oil.

The thin oil is about the consistency of ATF.

No, I did not try mixing or thinning the oil. The Schutz guns seem to be able to handle tarry undercoating, so I expect it can handle thick oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Did you try thoroughly mixing and thinning the product?

Try to mix it.

I just sprayed fluid film this weekend and it wouldn't come out of the nozzle at first. Had to adjust the amount of threads attached to the gun nozzle to get the fluid to spray out properly. Maybe try to spray water only first to see if the gun is working.
Also make sure the cannister isn't full of rustproofing to the top. It may need some room for the air to do its thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: George7941
None of the above. After realizing that the gun would not spray the thick oil I filled the container with thin oil and had no problem spraying it. With the thick oil air would come out out not the oil.

Try thinning the product to get it to properly atomize. The thinner will flash off and the product will remain and protect the surface. I had the same problem with a different gun, my buddy reminded me to thin the product. I was hoping it would spray as it came out of the pail, that wasn't the case.

Would diesel fuel be a good thinner?

no b/c it would stick around. Mineral spirits would flash off, leaving your original undercoating at its sticky tacky viscosity.

I'd try pre-heating the goo in a double boiler, and then either putting the blue cannister thing in a bucket of very hot water from time to time, and/or insulating it, perhaps with one or more of those silvery plastic coffee bean bags, because i have some.

One of the reasons I dont like the UK product Waxoyl. Clog City Central. A windmill in old Amsterdam.

Last edited:
(If you thin it with white spirit as well, which was the Waxoyl recommendation and not very effective on its own, you of course have to be a bit careful with the naked flame thing when heating.)

I believe you need to change the attachment for the thicker stuff, or simply remove the one in the picture. That hose is most likely too thin. From the picture it looks like you can unscrew it and you will be left with a wide nozzle. I bet it will spray fine out of that. However you can probably use it for undercarriage like that, for cavities, where the hose attachment has to be used, I would switch to a thinner product.

For thinning the existing product, WD40 works great, but then it will not last as long in the high wash areas.

Too bad about the diesel fuel because I have twenty litres of diesel contaminated with two litres of gasoline that I do not want to burn in a late model diesel engine.

I will try thinning it but I would still like to know if a Schutz gun can handle this oil. I see youtube videos of Schutz guns spraying thick rubberized undercoating and that undercoating appears to be thicker than the dripless undercoating.

Too bad about the diesel fuel because I have twenty litres of diesel contaminated with two litres of gasoline that I do not want to burn in a late model diesel engine.

It'd work, but as suggested above, it'll keep the goop runnier for longer, which might make it more vulnerable to wash off.

OTOH if the goop tends to over-harden with time (like Waxoyl did) it'll delay that. Probably better inside cavities/box sections.

Not sure about the safety aspect of the 10% petrol, though I might chance it.

Last edited:
Update - I thinned the dripless undercoating with mineral spirits (2/3 undercoating 1/3 spirits) and also increased the size of the hose and nozzle and the gun handled the undercoating well and sprayed it in a nice stream.

I think the mineral spirits will help the thick oil flow and creep well when first sprayed, until it flashes off. It should help ensure a more thorough and even coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back