One oil to do them all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas,

After some reading the general concessus seems to be that most oil manufacturered today is a quality product. I am looking to simplify my oil changing needs and wondering if I can use one to do all my vehicles.

Vehicle 1: BMW E70 X5 35d m57 sequential turbo 3.0L diesel with all deletes (no dpf). 50/50 highway city. 112k kms.

Vehicle 2: BMW E71 X6 n54 twin turbo 3.0L gas. 40 / 60 highways city. 80k kms.

Vehicle 3: 2002 VW Jetta TDI Alh single turbo diesel with deletes. 175k kms. Mostly highway.

Vehicle 4: 97 FLSTS Harley Davidson Springer, 1340cc vtwin gas. 9k kms.

Was thinking about just buying a 19L jug of Rotella T6 and running it on everything.

Any objections? Is this a stupid idea? Currently everything has its own oil. I can go into what if needed.

Cheers,
Sean

What oil is specified for each would be helpful. As a SWAG, agree you could likely go with T6 in everything without worry.

There is always that Red line 10W-60
smile.gif

You're goinna hate T6 in the Harley ... It'll sound like a bucket of marbles. Not thick enough at start-up or at op temp. Plus, it's still somewhat susceptible to drain-off when sitting for long periods.

If the cars don't sit to much (?), they will be OK. I run T6 in a lot of stuff and it works OK.

Are you likely to try to extend your drain interval to more than 10K miles?

X5 is recommended to use a 5W30 meeting BMW LL-04 standards. Its currently running Castrol Professional OE 5w30

X6 is recommended to use a 5W30 meeting BMW LL-01 standards. Not sure what its currently running as its newish to us.

Jetta is recommended to use an oil meeting VW 505.00 standards. Its currently running Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

Harley is recommended to use a HD 20w50. Its currently running Redline V-Twin 20W50.

I am totally fine with the Harley sticking to heavy weights and buying separately. The Rotella T6 seems popular among Motorcyclists, but probably more engineered machines. The Evo already sounds like a bucket of marbles with the Redline 20w50. Machined to "perfec... eeh close enough whatever". Part of its charm I suppose.

Was aiming at the T6 0w40 also. I live in Canada so its below 0c for the winters. 10k - 15k KMs change intervals (under 10,000 miles). Depending when I see oil on sale. Thanks for the advice so far fellas, much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Castrol Edge 0w40 should meet all the cars needs as you don't require the emissions safe oil after deleting it. It has the LL01 and 505 specs. Also has ACEA A3/B4, Porsche A40 and MB 229.5

Depends how cheaply you can get it.

Castrol 0W40 for the cars & stick with what you using for the Harley. What to have a couple single quarts lying around for the Harley is not gonna kill you or the Harley combined with your 5 quart jug or jugs for the cars. I myself run Mobil One V-Twin 20W50 in my Road King Classic in all three holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Redline in the EVO may be contributing to some start-up noise. Fine oil, but may drain-off a bit more than a dino version.

My Harley wants dino oil by the sound of things on cold start. I tried all sorts of stuff. HDEO's, Castrol RS10W-60, and a bunch of others. Ended up with good old GTX 20W-50.

Old school oil for an old school motor. Sounds good on cold start and runs fine. A bit of foam in the oil tank after running hard, but not bad. So I'm OK with that.

Annual changes
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Isn't T6 only 5w-40? I would be a little concerned with that in the Harley.

Aren't Harley's supposed to take a 60 weight or something ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back