good small gas cans..which?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI:
I have 2 DD, old 1994 Dakota and 1992 240. Neither has working gas gauge, one lacks odometer as well. In an abundance of caution, I think it might be wise to get 2x 2.5??? gal gas cans. I might pay a little more for semi nice ones, with the fond hope that they won't disappear like good jumper cables do. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

You are going to REALLY love these:

1015-2.jpg

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Yes one more:
Buy or make a small lockable truck storage box.

Get some proper metal ones. You can get them down to a quart.

For plastic cans I go to Canada so I can get cans without those horrible spouts.

Your trip meter work? I always reset that for a fill up anyways and in my normal driving the trip meter is very consistent for knowing when to fill up. Also maybe look into something like a scanguage for OBD1? A scangauge can replace all functions of a dash board with accurate numbers and read codes so its worth the money IMO.
I won't carry gas in a car everyday for "just in case", heck you could get an old GPS unit and track trip mileage with that.

I use a discarded metal can of mineral spirits or something similar. I know that you should have a gas can seal air tight, but this typically hasn't been a problem for me unless we get really hot weather. Then I just burp the can once in a while.

No OBD-I scan gauge is going to show fuel level; the computer doesn't care.

If you have a can in the trunk I'd go for a trunk-certified model... forget what they're called. Fumes will drive you nuts, might make you sick.

Regular carry of gas should be in a metal can. Plastic is simply not durable enough for the job (even though many use them, potential problems still exist even if someone hasn't experienced them).

I like metal "Jerry" style (WWII German Military style); they handle very easily, are simple to secure-store (chain, for example) and are durable. New or surplus, your choice. Probably limited to IMP 5 Gal [US 6 Gal / 20~25 litres] but that's your goal with two smaller cans.

If you *really* need small cans due to some space / storage / handling limits, I personally would then look at aluminum fuel bottles designed for camping and gas stoves. A 1 litre size should be easy to find, perhaps 4 of them (slightly larger than 1 USG) would be good enough for you.

If they seem too expensive, buy one or two and keep adding at that same rate until you have the 4 or 8 litre capacity you need. They are legal (red anodized, typically) fuel containers, which solves some potential issues you might have with non-gas cans (legally, the filling station is supposed to prohibit you from filling it if it's not a "gas" can or the right colour).

Would fit upright and nicely in typical car carrying stuff from bags (with a bungee cord) to boxes.

I've carried JetB in one for literally 20 years on a daily basis, an MRI 1 litre one (use for emergency fire starter) and that includes in the passenger compartment of aircraft on a regular basis (DeHaviland Otter, mostly). Pilot is absolutely fine with it, and just so you know he's not cavalier about safety, he would not let me carry Bear Spray until I found a crash-proof container to hold it. "If that stuff gets out somehow, the plane crashes because I won't be able to fly it" or something like that. Note that Bear Spray is many times more concentrated than what the police etc can legally carry.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

If you have a can in the trunk I'd go for a trunk-certified model... forget what they're called. Fumes will drive you nuts, might make you sick.

No, but you can track your gas usage from full and once you calibrate it a couple times, it would be close enough, even in varied driving conditions.

On both my cars I can read fuel level with the ODBII scanners use.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

On both my cars I can read fuel level with the ODBII scanners use.

Yes but obd1 does not.

All the newer "no spill" types seem to be junk, take forever to pour, can damage plastic fuel tanks threads (lawnmowers etc.), and spill fuel constantly. They do however keep fuel fresh longer due to the lack of a vent. Metal is your friend for fuel storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back