Filter Selection for both vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change the oil in both my vehicles and I always debate if I should stick to OEM filters or not. I prefer to err on the side of caution, it's why I run full synthetic oil, so if there is a better filter out there, I'd jump on it. I keep seeing the FRAM Ultra mentioned, but been hesitant with the FRAM name.

2006 F150
Oil: Schaeffer 9000 5W-20
Filter: OEM Motorcraft (believe FL-1A)
Plan: Run the longest intervals possible

2017 CR-V (1.5L Turbo)
Oil: Schaeffer 9000 0W-20
Filter: I wanted the Honda A01 but dealer didn't have it, went with WixXP for the time being.
Plan: stick to the oil maintenance reminder

Fram Ultra, Donaldson, Amsoil, Royal Purple (Both Amsoil & Royal Purple are made by Donaldson), Fleetguard are all top-notch.

The F150 should be a Motorcraft 820S (unless a 6 cylinder, then a Motorcraft FL400S).
Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator, and there have been many issues with Purolator made filters tearing (especially the 820s).

The Fram Ultra is one of the best filters out there. Excellent filtration and flow, solid construction with silicone ADV and wire mesh backed synthetic media, and priced below other equivalent filters.
Nothing wrong with the Fram name, any (overblown) issues they may of had 20 years ago have been addressed, and the Ultra filter is the result of a lot of research.

While I quit using Fram filters for a long time (it was a cost for what you got issue for me, not a quality issue), I have no problems using them.
I have a stash of filters, some being Fram Tough Guards that I got on clearance. If I ever go back to long change intervals, the Fram Ultra is at the top of my list.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Fram Ultra, Donaldson, Amsoil, Royal Purple (Both Amsoil & Royal Purple are made by Donaldson), Fleetguard are all top-notch.

I've run Amsoil filters almost exclusively since 2004. Solid filters.

Can't go wrong with FU or Donaldson either.

Heard about the others but no info other than my opinion that they've got a good reputation....

Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra
Looks like Fram Ultra will be the way to go. Thanks!

Fram Ultra is at or near the top of a lot of lists. Royal Purple would be another solid one, but you pay more for The Color Purple (not the Oprah movie....).
Consider the MicroGreen too; good construction, micro-filtering ability in a special path around the main media too.

Last edited:
Never heard of MicroGreen, I'll look into it.

The Fram Ultra "is at or near the top of a lot of lists" mostly due to the superior published filtration efficiency. Be aware that the microGreen (like a lot of filters) does not publish filtration efficiency. In that regard it is no better than a good-looking OEM filter. The "micro-filtering ability in a special path around the main media" has never been shown through any sort of data to be beneficial. That's not to say it doesn't work but microGreen has not published anything to show that it does.

Good to know. Not to mention, sure it's not easily to get a hold of.
AMAZON.COM or purchased through microgreen's own website are the only two ways I know to get MicroGreens. They sell to fleets too. They are built well, using a synthetic blend media, silicon ADBV, and the special microfiltering path is based on sound engineering principles of long-term oil filtering methods similar in concept to the Baldwin High Velocity Dual Flow oil filters for big trucks, but here available for passenger car use.

Going with an Ultra is a good idea too. There was an old thread on here where a Fram rep (motorking) said the Ultra can get 80% of 5-micron particles out, which is impressive and likely beats everything. MicroGreens with their basic sound design is the only one I would give credit for beating it, although difficult to verify unless we see particle counts in controlled experiments.

Last edited:
One would expect however that if they had numbers to prove the superior filtering efficiency of the microGreen filter they would publish them. Like Fram, when an entity has a superior product they tend to promote the fact, not hide it. The one number they do give on their website is utterly worthless.

At least they removed the claim of increased fuel economy, I'll give them that.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
MicroGreens with their basic sound design is the only one I would give credit for beating it, although difficult to verify unless we see particle counts in controlled experiments.

Don't you mean impossible to verify?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Wrong. Any engineer could devise an experiment to confirm what we see with our eyes in the filter construction. 4548-12 probably is not designed for the long term particle trap system, which is where the Fram Ultra oil filter gets its numbers. You are skeptical, fine, yet some of us can see the obvious benefits of parallel path oil filtering. Truck engines use that principle in some cases (Baldwin, others).

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Wrong. Any engineer could devise an experiment to confirm what we see with our eyes in the filter construction. 4548-12 probably is not designed for the long term particle trap system, which is where the Fram Ultra oil filter gets its numbers. You are skeptical, fine, yet some of us can see the obvious benefits of parallel path oil filtering. Truck engines use that principle in some cases (Baldwin, others).

Sure, OK. One really wonders why they haven’t done this experiment if it’s something any engineer could do. Perhaps they have done it and the results aren’t quite as expected?

“Some of us can see.” Perhaps, but then some of us also see that there’s nothing to back up their claims nor yours. You and they can opine all you like about how it “should” work and how “obvious” it is and all that. But this is an oil filter after all and filtering data doesn’t come from those things no matter how arrogantly they are proclaimed.

It’s just odd that this filter which makes superior filtration as it’s primary claim doesn’t provide any test results to back that claim.

2017 CR-V (1.5L Turbo)
Oil: Schaeffer 9000 0W-20
Filter: I wanted the Honda A01 but dealer didn't have it, went with WixXP for the time being.
Plan: stick to the oil maintenance reminder

Scheaffer uses a lot of sodium and calcium in their 9000 lines. http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html
and these have been known to promote LSPI in di-turbo engines. I'd use Mobil1 (any type of M1) or any dexos1 Gen2 synthetic oil to make sure its not a problem.
http://www.infineuminsight.com/insight/nov-2016/quenching-low-speed-pre-ignition

Yeah, I plan to switch for the CR-V, but I have a case that I need to get through. I'll be doing short intervals, but my fault for not researching it more.

At least it has the moly to help fight it. From what I read, it is good for LSPI.

Last edited:
On the MicroGreen issue of field testing, there was a bitog member Cyclops (Doug) who did particle counts and compared it to a K&N oil filter paper media one. At the time of the test, MicroGreen had an all-paper main media, and they have since upgraded that to a better synth blend media, so these old numbers are probably worst case, as today's MicroGreens are better than the ones 5 years ago.

It basically provides some evidence and credibility to what MicroGreen, Baldwin, Fleetgaurd, and others have been saying about oil filtration using bypass parallel path flow with microfiltering.

Cyclops posted: "I'm pleased with Microgreen results. I wasn't sure if their integrated bypass system worked or a scam but I liked the idea so I tested particle counts comparing Microgreen with a K&N using identical oil and driving routine. Microgreen did extremely well. My latest run was over 15k miles. If I continue at 15k intervals, cost isn't bad.

Micron particle size and respective counts/ml. Note, first count value represent oem size microgreen filter, second is oem size K&N and third is an oversized mircogreen filters. First and second count had ~12,000miles, whereas, third is with 15,458miles. First two counts is with RedLine 5w20 and third with oversize filter with 0w20 Redline. Car is a 2009 Focus.

>=2: 1085,, 2878,, 833
>=5: 402,, 1066,, 308
>=10: 111,, 295,, 85
>=15: 43,, 114,, 33
>=25: 10,, 27,, 7
>=50: 1,, 2,, 0
>=100: 0,, 0,, 0

Doug"

If was running long OCIs in excess of 10K, Fram Ultra or a Wix/Donaldson/Fleetguard with synthetic media would be my only choice. Maybe Puro Boss if it wasn't for their QC issues, it's basically a Mercedes nylon mesh-backed fleece filter in a can.

The Honda will be happy with most filters, try not to use a jobber-spec/ST on those. Not so much the construction but the media. Then again, there's millions of Hondas running the cheapest filter and oil with the maintenance minder.

I used to be a Fram basher - but if Honda, Mopar and Subaru trust Fram it's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back