So I got me License and a Winchester XP Shot gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in part of the time I wasn't on BITOG. (Let's not go there). I went and got my Firearms license here in the great white north for sport shooting and I bought a Winchester XP Shot-Gun. It will do up to 3.5" shells.

Anyone have comments/thoughts on this model and best care?

11.gif

I can't comment on the Winchester.

Find RESPONSIBLE friends to go hunting with,
it really makes the experience that much better.

I have a Benelli Nova 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun.

If you mean the SXP, it is an evolution of the old Winchester 1200/1300 series. It has a few changes and updates, and instead of being manufactured in the United States, it is now made overseas in Turkey.

I have an old Winchester 1300 Defender as a home protection gun, and shot some clays with a 1200. They are fast pumps and as long as Winchester didn't stray too far from the quality when it outsourced production, it should serve you relatively well.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I have an SXP Black Shadow, great Duck/Turkey gun. Not a lets go shoot cheap shells through since they jam.

Yes and that's the one along with the water fowl gun that can shoot the 3.5 inch shells. The other SXP's are limited to 2 3/4 and 3.0 inch shells. In fact I believe that will be inscribed right on the barrel of the gun. Yes they do suggest that you don't shoot any low brass shells through this gun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I can't comment on the Winchester.

Find RESPONSIBLE friends to go hunting with,
it really makes the experience that much better.

I have a Benelli Nova 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun.

The irresponsible friends with beer are more fun. It's just shotguns, they are only dangerous at close range.

I'm happy with it. We did some Skeet shooting so far. Bought good shells because I want the gun to last and want easier clean-up.

Don't know what Turkish company made it, but in general, Turkey makes some fine weapons. I would expect the Winchester to be of excellent quality. Enjoy.

Don't buy a 3-1/2" gun, unless you really feel you need it. None of them will cycle very well with low brass 2-3/4" shells. Which are what you will be shooting the most. The 3-1/2" 12 gauge is a specialized tool for waterfowl and Turkey hunting. So unless that's what you are into, you'll be far better served with a 3" 12. Most of them will cycle fine on 2-3/4" loads. And you still can shoot 3" for hunting. And there isn't much a modern 3" 12 gauge load won't take care of.

I bought it because it was the right price before the 13% sales tax.
grin2.gif

It shoots 3" no problem, haven't fired 2-3/4 shells yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back