Wasteful oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
This is the time of year that I end up getting very frustrated with the habits of some car owners, it's the time of year where the topic of car storage comes up on all of the message boards. I don't know why I let it bother me but the biggest pet peeve I have is those people that give advice to others about how they should change their oil both before AND AFTER storage! When I ask these people why they feel the need to change that perfectly good, brand new oil again in the spring, it's always the same annoying answer: oil is cheap insurance. My comeback to them is this though, what they are saying is similar to saying "I just changed my oil yesterday but I'm going to change it again today just to be safe because oil is cheap insurance" (or I'll say they might as well just pour brand new oil straight into the garbage right out of the bottle)

Does anyone else run into these types of people and how do you respond to them? (yes, I may be over reacting but I figured this crowd probably sides with me on this annoying trend!)

My cousin does this with his 1980's Mustang Cobra 5.0L and he does with pricey Synthetic oil too.
cry.gif

Peace of mind tends to be more expensive than people try to claim.. particularly when it's due to unneeded wastefulness. This crowd of all should know that scientific analysis is how you actually know what's going on, with our focus and preference to VOAs and UOAs.

But part of us living in a "first world" is that some of us waste because they simply can. For as specific and exacting as cars can be, there's just so much myth and urban legend that it doesn't make sense at times.

And while your at it, I was at a garage for my job yesterday and did some google search on it. But I see people are still latched to the conventional oil should only go 3,000 miles, synthetic only goes 5,000 miles. Those 10,000 mile oil changes, they are for fleets and leases where you get rid of the vehicle after 3 years. The engines aren't going to make after 150,000 miles. If its a keeper, change it more often. Oils cheap, cheap insurance, compared to an engine replacement. Your engine not going to make it, even on synthetic oil, on a 10,000 mile OCI.

Their car their money. I just worry about my car my money. Those other people can do what ever makes them comfortable. You read a lot of stuff here on the BITOG blog. I use what I agree with, disregard some of it I don't agree with and think on some of other points. But you aren't going to get many people to move out of their comfort zone real quickly.

Last edited:
Even if I had to pay full price for oil, which I never do. I would never go 10,000 miles. Just my opinion and since I am footing the bill, I can. I change my generator oil once a year whether I use it or not. I wouldn't go as far as the storage example but really when you get oil for less than $1 a qt. Why not change it at 3,000-5,000 if you want. Cheap, clean motor.
What are you trying to prove going 10,000 miles unless you buy into the environmental bull and peak oil. Listen if there was Peak oil, you wouldn't be getting it for .45 a quart on clearance, think about it.

I don't like it when people talk about changing something "because it's cheap insurance." A person could go broke maintaining a car with this attitude. One hears this kind of talk with oil changes, thermostats, O2 sensors, air filters, coolant, hoses, belts, and a whole collection of sensors under the hood. I change something because it needs it via testing or examination, or the maintenance schedule recommends it.

Oil changes that someone else does is something I don't care about. I am in the camp that says it's your money, spend it how you want.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
How often I change my oil is my business. The compulsion to judge others is altogether too common today.

Exactly. Being annoyed by people performing frequent oil changes is laughable, especially since the OP has FOUR CARS!

I wonder if the fine folks in Houston, the Florida Keys, Puerto Rico, or the Cali Wine Country worry about such things.

Scott

From a boating perspective we change oil in the fall, and in the spring we change spark plugs after startup as the thought is there will be a trace of the burned up fogging oil left on the plug.

And changing spark plugs on an engine with water cooled exhaust manifold is a real PIA. Best to employ a 12 year old grandchild with tiny fingers.

The amount of people who do this is probably so statistically small compared to other wasteful acts. How about state workers that idle their diesel trucks 24/7? How many cars are driving around with under inflated tires causing higher fuel consumption? We could go crazy worrying about how people waste resources.

I do what makes me sleep easier at night. And not worrying about others oil change habits helps me sleep easier at night. On vehicles I change yearly I do it after winter.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
How often I change my oil is my business. The compulsion to judge others is altogether too common today.

Exactly. Being annoyed by people performing frequent oil changes is laughable, especially since the OP has FOUR CARS!

I wonder if the fine folks in Houston, the Florida Keys, Puerto Rico, or the Cali Wine Country worry about such things.

Scott

I don't have to worry about storing a vehicle. I drive mine year round.

As for the OP, yes, you are over-reacting. It is their money and time they are wasting. If you want to give some facts that it is unnecessary, then fine. You will more than likely never change their mind, just as they will not change yours.

I agree there is no reason to change the oil when you take it out of storage if you changed the oil just before going into storage (and was stored correctly). It is not cheap insurance, it is a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back