09 CRV rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks:

I live up north, and have an 09 CRV that is starting to rust at a weld in the tailgate. It is not visible from the outside. (Open tailgate, look up at the weld on the downward side of the door).

I tried to put in a warranty claim, but it was denied. (There was a separate program for the tailgate only, where they extending the rust protection for a period - but it did not apply to my case).

Anybody care to comment on my options to slow the process? I want to keep the vehicle for a few more years. I was thinking body shop - but don't want that bill....

Replace it. Any half measure is a waste of money.

inb4 magical Fluid Film
27.gif

Fluid Film or Carwell will slow it way down.

But to fix it you need a body repair. A few body shops seem to do rust repair, most do not want to be bothered. They sell various body pieces that can be welded in or a body shop fabricates what is needed. Find a one man body shop who does rust repair.

Make the drive to Canada and get it Krown Rust proofed. All my vehicles go the scrap yard with 300K Miles or thereabouts and 0 rust. Been using the stuff for decades. About $100 Canadian ($80 USD).

Originally Posted By: Donald
Fluid Film or Carwell will slow it way down.

But to fix it you need a body repair. A few body shops seem to do rust repair, most do not want to be bothered. They sell various body pieces that can be welded in or a body shop fabricates what is needed. Find a one man body shop who does rust repair.

+1. All you can do is try to slow/prevent any onset via application before rust starts. Once it has started, it's too late, exposed metal may be slowed by application of such products, but better could be other etching treatments and even paint in some cases.

Once started you really can only cut to good metal and weld in new metal. Then paint on the exposed side and rustvtreat the other side. From the factory there generally is some waxy or hard rustproofing coating. The point of oils, ff, etc, is to have a creeping agent to top up where the OE coating was, and where it couldn't go. The creation of a rust spot isnindication that the oe coating couldn't creep everywhere it needed to, and that water could...

If it's not readily visible why wouldn't you wire brush to bare metal, acid etch primer, basecoat, clear?

You can probably get everything here for 40 bucks: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Or try fluid film or whatever and hope it's only rusting from the outside, I'm not sure what that buys you though it is impressive on my trailer hitch. Rustproofing per my understanding goes inside the panel, but it's too late for that if the rust is through the paint and allowing moisture from the outside to get to the metal.

EDIT: Don't spray 2k without serious protective equipment. Just saw neighbor under a jack with no stands!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back