New Mix for My S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to try the Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car Motor Oil SAE 10W-40 but the zddp of 2100 is a bit high for me. So I did a 50/50 mix of M1 0/40 fs and M1 V-Twin 20/50. According to two mixing calculators this should be very close to M1 10/40 HM 16cSt 107cSt(16.2cSt 109cSt for the mix). Both oils have close to the same add pack, 0/40 MO-71 B-280 CA-3255 MG-15 Z-1005 P-978 And V-Twin 20/50 MO-82 B-233 CA-2472 MG-24 Z-1745 P-1600. So a 50/50 mix should give me more anti-wear add pack and still keep the good detergent package plus keep the oil close to a 10/40.

I'm not going to put SN oil in my S2000, I've been running M1 10/40 HM SM(with a can of MoS2) for the last 100k miles because it had more ZDDP and I've seen first hand and read about way to many engines(F20C and F22C) eating bearings and/or scored cylinders. This mix will give me around 1400-Z and 1300-P which is close to what the old M1 10/40 SM had. I will get a uoa on this mix at 6000 miles(usually run 7500 miles) and post back.

ROD

Why not just use what will work like something that meets the Porsche A40 spec such as Castrol 0W40, Pennzoil 0W40 or 5W40 or even Mobil1 0W40. Does the rare for the time 10W30 recommendation from Honda make it hard for you to accept a 0 or 5W whatever?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Why not just use what will work like something that meets the Porsche A40 spec such as Castrol 0W40, Pennzoil 0W40 or 5W40 or even Mobil1 0W40. Does the rare for the time 10W30 recommendation from Honda make it hard for you to accept a 0 or 5W whatever?

I think he explained clearly why he was doing what he was doing. Did you not follow it?

As to why not 0w, the fact he doesn’t live in Alaska is reason alone. He wants “oil” and not a significant percentage of fragile polymers that degrade and don’t lubricate well.

Interesting approach worth noting for certain cars.

Aren't these roller cam engines? SN levels of zddp will be just fine. Grab a jug of your fave 10W30 (per Honda spec) and you'll be good to go.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

I think he explained clearly why he was doing what he was doing. Did you not follow it?

As to why not 0w, the fact he doesn’t live in Alaska is reason alone. He wants “oil” and not a significant percentage of fragile polymers that degrade and don’t lubricate well.

Interesting approach worth noting for certain cars.

_

Last edited:
Why not just use what will work like something that meets the Porsche A40 spec such as Castrol 0W40, Pennzoil 0W40 or 5W40 or even Mobil1 0W40.

That's kind of where I'm leaning.

Good thinking though Rod..... TOO MUCH ZDDP is actually a bad thing.

They are roller cam engines. However, they are also FRM (fiber reinforced metal) cylinder material. So the bores are not conventional cast iron or a variation of nikasil. Furthermore the very high RPM of these engines does put a heavy burden on the bearings. The use of very light oils in these engines will result in cylinder scoring and accelerated bearing wear. I use 15W-50 M1 in my Turbo S2000 with excellent results. Considering the hard use it's seen, I'm surprised it's held up this long on the original engine. Something I can't say for the differential and transmission.

407 RWHP at 19.5 pounds boost.

You might like the pic of my S2000 pinion gear! (prob not intended for 450 crankshaft HP)

r8qGfYg.jpg

Originally Posted By: Cujet
407 RWHP at 19.5 pounds boost. You might like the pic of my S2000 pinion gear! (prob not intended for 450 crankshaft HP)

YIKES!!!!

They are roller cam engines. However, they are also FRM (fiber reinforced metal) cylinder material. So the bores are not conventional cast iron or a variation of nikasil. Furthermore the very high RPM of these engines does put a heavy burden on the bearings. The use of very light oils in these engines will result in cylinder scoring and accelerated bearing wear. I use 15W-50 M1 in my Turbo S2000 with excellent results. Considering the hard use it's seen, I'm surprised it's held up this long on the original engine. Something I can't say for the differential and transmission.

You might like the pic of my S2000 pinion gear! (prob not intended for 450 crankshaft HP)

r8qGfYg.jpg

Cujet,
I'd have that pinion mounted on my wall LOL
Plus you know its hard to find a shop that can rebuild one correctly and finding a good used one(AP2 '06) is starting to be a(rhymes with cap) shoot.

r8qGfYg.jpg

That will buff right out!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rrounds

Cujet,
I'd have that pinion mounted on my wall LOL
Plus you know its hard to find a shop that can rebuild one correctly and finding a good used one(AP2 '06) is starting to be a(rhymes with cap) shoot.

Hahaha, I chucked it immediately. I installed a different ratio (3.63) , which is much nicer for the turbo's power. I did the overhaul myself, and used the proper reinforcement parts from a well known S2000 diff guy. The job came out well and has been working perfectly ever since.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That's beautiful...

Yup! I wanted to add that the gear teeth were distorted enough that I could hear "problems" coming from the differential. When lightly on the throttle, a very noisy clickety-clickety sound was evident, and a weird whine when off the throttle at speed. I knew it was a minute from catastrophic failure and nursed it home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back