Extreme OCI Leaderboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most BITOGers just want to maintain their car. I'm curious if anybody pushes their oil as far as it can go?

There is hypermiling for people trying to get highest MPG. Is there a community for people trying to get the longest OCI using catch cans, boutique oils, Blackstone recommendations of "15k was great, try 17k next time", and adding 2k every OCI?

How far can you stretch out the useful life of a lube?

There are some, I think if you look around.

That depends on who you ask. Different answers.

I have a gentleman who drives a Camaro and changes the oil every 35,000 miles. He has a unique set up, so not like many could reproduce or would want to.

To answer your question, it depends on what you define as acceptable for wear.

Couple guys on here with bypass setups doing 40k mile OCIs. Seen a couple reports for 18-22k miles.

Personally have gone to 12k.

My MIL likes to let her 2009 CRV go 1 year / 12K miles (20K KM) on conventional oil. So far it has 60K miles (100K KM) and nothing ill to report.
45.gif

Last edited:
I think DNewton takes the cake, for conventional at least. Believe he had a 12 or 18K run on supertech conventional. And it wasn't as bad as we would think!

My longest are:

Conventional = 10K on 5W-20 MS5K and a MC FL-820s
Synthetic = 17.5K on 0W-20 M1 AFE and a FU XG2

I don't push OCI's although I do go further than ever before...before discovering BITOG. And even in my earlier membership years, I was reluctant to push further than the 3 months/3k miles interval.

I used to try to push my daily drivers to 20 years. However I never made it that far. 16, 17 & 18 years was as far as I could push them before the chassis/body rust took over and they became unsafe.

I would always(and still do) maintain them all as if I were going to keep'em forever. Even if it meant early/premature PM's.

This is not including the Firebird FORMULA(37 yrs old) in my signature as this a garaged and I am the original owner.

Today, my plans are to keep a car only to about 10 years tops and then get another.

https://i1.wp.com/blog.modbargains.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/dsc00858w.jpg

its just a bad idea, oil is cheap, engines are really expensive to replace

https://blog.modbargains.com/15000-mile-oil-change-myth/

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2111271-15K-oil-change-damaged-my-engine

here is my story i have my wife 2010 X6 35I, with only 78xxx KMs thats around 48K miles, i was always following the service schedule but the thing that i was worried about this long oil change interval, i told once the service advisor at my local BMW dealer that i want to change my oil earlier, but he said its not necessary, couple months ago i had in the screen that my oil level is to high!! when i went to the dealer they said its from the oil sludge and to clean the engine from the sludge they quoted me 2116 $ !!! including changine the valve cover!! and then reset the oil change system to be due in 7.5K miles !! why they didn't do that when i asked them, and i didn't bother my self also to ask why they want to change to valve cover its doesnt make any sense to me.

now i got engine power is no longer avaliable & and low oil pressure with a vibration in the engine once i felt the vibrate i immediately parked the car at home and i will not start it until i get a reply from them.

i blame them for the oil sludge build up, i E-mailed BMW last week but until know i didn't get a call or anything.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I think DNewton takes the cake, for conventional at least. Believe he had a 12 or 18K run on supertech conventional. And it wasn't as bad as we would think!

I recall this being from a vehicle that holds 2 gallons of oil, less impressive than a vehicle that takes half of that.
I recall some UOA of a civic going 25k on amsoil with a 4qt sump

Last edited:
Looking back through my records, the longest I've ran any oil was 12k miles in the CRV, with M1EP 5W30 and a fram ultra. I usually do about 8k miles on the oil and 16K on the filter.

I think Crusher takes the cake on here. He's somewhere around 60k right now. His UOAs are available in that part of the forum.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I recall this being from a vehicle that holds 2 gallons of oil, less impressive than a vehicle that takes half of that. I recall some UOA of a civic going 25k on amsoil with a 4qt sump
It was a 1995 Mecury Villager which holds 4.2 QTs of oil.

The 06 Accord routinely goes 12K OCI with M1 EP since new. The F150 gets changed every 3 years, averages about 12K miles, with M1 EP.

I use a 10K mile OCI on the 2 Series and a 15K mile OCI on the 328i.
Everything else gets an annual oil change because they are all driven less than 5K miles per year.

Just for the record,
back in the 90's right as the huge DOT COM bubble was coming up and AOL was starting to send out free CD-ROM's....

I did an oil change on a 1994 Chevy K1500 for a fella that did computer set-ups for offices all over.
He was working non stop and never took any time to maintain his vehicles.
I filled his 350 with Mobil 1 10W-30 and a standard ACDelco PF35 oil filter, and he went over 50,000 miles on that one oil change.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Most BITOGers just want to maintain their car. I'm curious if anybody pushes their oil as far as it can go?
There is hypermiling.... How far can you stretch out the useful life of a lube?

This is an experiment best saved for engines that are ACTUALLY reliable... Like Ford 4.6's and Chevy 5.3's...

Every time someone starts a thread about Extended OCI's, some BMW owner has to brag about how delicate their $8,000 engines are, and how they'll blow up if you go over the recommended OCI.

Moral of the story: if you want to do extended oil changes, don't buy fragile German cars.

Lastly, I have been doing 15,000 OCI's on my 4.6 Ford engine running cheap "full synthetic" (Harvest King, Super Tech, or some other Warren or Citgo oil) - since it's only $12 for a 5 qt jug and it is DEXOS approved.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
There is hypermiling.... How far can you stretch out the useful life of a lube?

This is an experiment best saved for engines that are ACTUALLY reliable... Like Ford 4.6's and Chevy 5.3's...

Every time someone starts a thread about Extended OCI's, some BMW owner has to brag about how delicate their $8,000 engines are, and how they'll blow up if you go over the recommended OCI.

Moral of the story: if you want to do extended oil changes, don't buy fragile German cars.

Lastly, I have been doing 15,000 OCI's on my 4.6 Ford engine running cheap "full synthetic" (Harvest King, Super Tech, or some other Warren or Citgo oil) - since it's only $12 for a 5 qt jug and it is DEXOS approved.

Here are two shots of the valvetrain on the "fragile" N52N motor in my son's 108.5K mile 2009 E90. The minimum OCI has been 15k miles:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back