Best 10W-30 synthetic for air cooled Kohler

I had a similar thread a long ways back, but this is more specific. I have access to Redline, Amsoil, as well as the M1 and other easily avail oils.

I rebuilt this 12HP K301 a little ways back and I would like to ask what the best 10W-30 Synthetic oil I can put in it, I know some will be splitting hairs.

I'm not well versed on base stocks and additives for flat tapped lifters and cams, splash-lube & air cooling which is why I ask.

I also have few powersports dealers near me so many of those oils are readily avail also.

This motor was rebuilt with the Mahle forged piston with a piston to bore clearance of .0048", not the standard cast with a .007" clearance, so I've been leary on the 15w-40. I wish there was a full synthetic 15W-40.

I was thinking on the Redline 30W race oil, but curious to the words of wisdom. I've been using Rotella 10W-30 for the engines first 75 or so hours and would like to go to full synthetic.

I'm not too concerned with the cost as the price difference will be negligible, just want the best for this motor.

Thank you for any tips and advice.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use straight 30. Kohler factory recommended viscosity is 10w-30. Some Kohlers had hydraulic lifters (Command Series it is required) so the 10w-30 is recommended. I know your K301 is old style with a basic solid cam follower lifter. I would use Amsoil 10W-30 Small Engine oil.

Dave

Last edited:
They do make a 5w40 full synthetic as well as a 10w30 for diesel engines that would be more robust for your application. I would stick with a diesel oil that resists burn off better than car oils.

You should use something that contains a proven anti wear not found in many oils. Titanium.
Kendall GT-1 Max with liquid titanium 10W30 fits the bill.
The boutique oils won't extend engine life just because that put in more zinc.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You should use something that contains a proven anti wear not found in many oils. Titanium.
Seriously what the

Seriously what the

Originally Posted By: dave123
Seriously what the

I wonder about myself sometimes

Ive had super luck with 10w30 V1R racing synthetic Valvoline with a 1/2 jigger of Liqui-Moly in my generator. NOTHING else kept her purring and quiet after 3 hours in the summer after a microburst took down our overhead power lines.
Rotella I didn't like T5 in the snow blower, preferred Triple Protect dino.

I would not use Liqui-Moly if the unit has an oil filter due to possible agglomeration, clogging issues.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
T5 ROTELLA 10w30 from Shell. A very stout blend with diesel rating. Ed

after some research with my new cub, I also went with T5 10w30. Seems to work well in my 25 horse twin. Noticeably smoother than the break in oil that came out (but that might have happened with any decent 10w30).

Originally Posted By: Eddie
T5 ROTELLA 10w30 from Shell. A very stout blend with diesel rating. Ed

Another +1 for the Rotella T5 10w30.

I've been using it in many outdoor power applications for a number of years.

Including Kohler Commands, Courage, K-series, Briggs Inteks, Hondas, etc. It is my go-to oil for small engines.

K241 here

Been run on Cenex/Land o' Lakes Straight 30 and 15W-40 (Both HDEO oils) all its life.

Make sure you run a good air filter.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
K241 here

Been run on Cenex/Land o' Lakes Straight 30 and 15W-40 (Both HDEO oils) all its life.

Make sure you run a good air filter.

Land o' Lakes? Don't they make butter?
lol.gif

Back