what's a good way to keep a garage or shed warm?

Last winter we had like 5 days in a row where it stayed at like 25 degrees believe it or not and it was enough to freeze my washer fluid in my truck. I'm usually good about those kinds of things, but I guess I've been lacking so with winter not far away I figured I'd ask this. 25 degrees is about as cold as it will get, maybe 20 degrees. My question is if you have a storage shed with electricity what would be a good way to keep it just warm enough to prevent things from freezing? I know normally the inside stays warmer, from the sun beating down etc, but I'm still curious. I think a space heater is the best bet, but I hear so many stories about them catching things on fire. Plus they seem so cheaply made that I'm not really comfortable using one especially unattended.

Is leaving a few lights on enough to keep things a few degrees warmer?

Get a utility heater that is thermostatically controlled and that has a tip / overheat sensor (Most do now). Or get a radiant barn type heater that mounts to the ceiling and radiates heat downward (Out of the way of flammables).

TSC is a good store to look if you have something like that near you.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How about getting the right fluid mix for the temperatures?

Assuming the structure is not insulated, any heating is going to be a major waste!

+1 or just dump in a bottle of heet per gallon washer fluid.

well I'm not talking about washer fluid, sorry to throw you guys off. I'm just talking about things in general. Like my pressure washer pump etc. I'd just rather keep things from freezing in the first place.

A 250w heat lamp shining direct on some thick metal … used to do this on a plow disk as a chill breaker for short periods in my shop (before putting a gas heater in) … I have also used electric radiator heat at my camp so when the fire burns out while sleeping

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
well I'm not talking about washer fluid, sorry to throw you guys off. I'm just talking about things in general. Like my pressure washer pump etc. I'd just rather keep things from freezing in the first place.

Unless its insulated as two have already asked about its going to be costly. But if its insulated keeping it above freezing should be very easy and inexpensive. One of those oil radiator type heaters use to keep my insulated 8' x 24' shop right at 60 degrees for about $30 a month all winter. Running it on the 600 watt setting. It would turn itself off and on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
water stored in a pump is a bad idea anytime of the year. Should be using RV or EG antifreeze for any length of storage.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How about getting the right fluid mix for the temperatures?

Assuming the structure is not insulated, any heating is going to be a major waste!

+1 for both! If uninsulated a heater will do nothing.

If cold weather washer fluid is not available in your area you can always put a mixture of 70% isopropyl alcohol in with the mix.

As has been said above, uninsulated spaces are costly to heat.

Do you have sunny days when it is 25* F ?
If so then the solar gain likely heats the space during the day and you just need to break the chill at night.

A block heater for your vehicle?

A torpedo heater with kerosene for a few hours before you go to bed?

The heat is going to rise immediately to the rafters unless you have the ceiling rocked out.

I use a DeLonghi oil filled heater,
has a "*" thermostat setting, below "1",
which is antifreeze, about 40-45 degrees F...

I set it on 600 watts, there is also a 900 watt setting too. Both is 1500, but that may trip the breaker or overheat the wiring, used long term...

Keeps the outside storage unit warm, and my water heater and pipes from freezing.

I did insulate the pipes and walls...

Simply insulating your shed will help more than trying to heat it. You have to slow the loss of heat since you don't have many cold days. No need to heat a shed in Texas.

I was going to tell you to move south, but you already are.

Exactly what type of building are you trying to heat?
As others have said, if not insulated (which it probably not is since it froze inside with our mild winter temps), just insulate it. There should be enough radiant heat after that to prevent freezing.
If you really want to warm it up (after insulation, otherwise it would be an impossible battle), get one of the oil heaters mentioned above, they work really well and have minimal fire hazard.
Look at some of these

Another option is a few 500w halogen flood lights, but the oil heater is more efficient.

Freezing things isn't going to hurt them, it isn't that cold. You can winterize pressure washers and put some antifreeze in the pump.

This thermo cube and a 250W heat lamp from your local farmer's supply might be your cheapest solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-TC-3-Thermostatically-Controlled/dp/B0006U2HD2

But electricity costs will be involved. As others have stated, insulation slows heat loss and might be sufficient where you are. And if you go electric heat, you'll really need insulation anyway.

For those in colder climes, a Thermo Cube is an ideal money saver for block heaters. Put it INSIDE your truck between your heater and your extension cord.

Add a bottle of isopropyl alcohol to your fluid mix. Barring that, I currently use a kerosene and propane radiant heater in the Winter. Why don't you use an engine heater?

Back