What Battery charger for this need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a new Blackvue 750s 2 channel dash cam in my vehicle. (Horrible drivers where I am, long story). Anyway it's wired to record when it's parked as well and it will do so until the battery voltage drops to a certain point and then shut-down leaving enough reserve to start the vehicle.

Anyway, I thought it would have enough power to record all night long but it seems that the battery I have in my vehicle just doesn't have enough lasting power to do so. (Even though it's brand new).

So I was thinking of getting an automatic trickle charger and modifying it with a quick/disconnect connector as needed and then just plug in the vehicle when I get home. (Plug is like 2ft from where the vehicle front end is).

What would be your thoughts on keeping the battery topped up and the dashcam running? 2 amp enough?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
2 amp should be plenty. But your battery is either rubbish or the camera falsely shuts off.

So, you let the cam shut off on low voltage and then the only recharging your battery gets is via your alternator? What is the cut-off point - what is your battery voltage before you start the car? 12.6, 12.4, 12.2VDC?

When I shut the vehicle off the battery voltage is usually 12.4. When I go to start up in the morning some 10 or so hours later the battery voltage is 12.0. (I have to monitors in the truck and both read within .1v of each other)

They do sell an external battery pack for this camera to run it all night but it's pricey so I was hoping to get away with a charger instead and keep the battery topped off and warm in the winter time as well. (2 birds with one stone sort of thing)

It draws approximately 1 amp while it's running.

Last edited:
Your battery shut off voltage should be near 13 with the surface charge then it should dip to 12.6 or so at room temps. Something's screwy, louie.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yes a trickle charger is ideal for this application.

2amp you figure?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
When I shut the vehicle off the battery voltage is usually 12.4. When I go to start up in the morning some 10 or so hours later the battery voltage is 12.0. (I have to monitors in the truck and both read within .1v of each other)

They do sell an external battery pack for this camera to run it all night but it's pricey so I was hoping to get away with a charger instead and keep the battery topped off and warm in the winter time as well. (2 birds with one stone sort of thing)

It draws approximately 1 amp while it's running.

This is your clue. 100% charge on a battery is 12.65-12.7V. 12.4V is maybe 70% charged, 12.0 is maybe 15%.

Figure out why your vehicle isn't charging the battery fully first.

Also put an ammeter in series and determine what the cam is drawing. You ought to meet that need with a charger, or a bit more. Some chargers will throw a fault for too much parasitic draw, so you'll need to try a few. You don't want something so dumb that it doesn't recognize the load and cooks your battery in time.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

This is your clue. 100% charge on a battery is 12.65-12.7V. 12.4V is maybe 70% charged, 12.0 is maybe 15%.

Also put an ammeter in series and determine what the cam is drawing. You ought to meet that need with a charger, or a bit more. Some chargers will throw a fault for too much parasitic draw, so you'll need to try a few. You don't want something so dumb that it doesn't recognize the load and cooks your battery in time.

When running it's charging at 14.3v so the charging system is fine, and it was load tested by the dealer when it went in for a recall and I had the battery replaced there because it's in the wheel well and forget changing that nonsense myself. Can't be bothered but the battery was toast.

Anyway according to my loading battery tester I ran on it afterward it's fully charged when shutdown and snaps back to proper voltage after a load test is applied.

I really think it's just the parasitic draw from all the junk in the car already plus this camera that it puts up with for about 8-10 hours and then shuts down when I unlock the doors because it's enough to push it over the edge at that point.

I will try a 2amp automatic charger plugged in when I first get home until the next day and see if that does it. If not I will step it up.

I appreciate everyones input.
11.gif

Buy the external battery pack.

Are you at least using a deep cycle battery? I can't imagine a starter battery lasting very long under those conditions, even if you charge it every night

Buy the external battery pack.

Are you at least using a deep cycle battery? I can't imagine a starter battery lasting very long under those conditions, even if you charge it every night

No it's using the vehicle battery at the moment but it doesn't allow it to drop below 12v. I think with an automatic charger capable of keeping the battery topped up and the parasitic draw from the Dash Cam it should be ok.

The best trickle charger is the genuine " Battery Tender ". I prefer the 1.25 amp version, commonly available for around $50. I believe it comes with one quick disconnect harness, and you can buy all sorts of adapters as well.

Schauer BH12 is the one I have. It has a rocker switch for either 2 Amp or 6 Amp.

Excellent battery charger. Always works.

Don't have it charging on 6 Amps for more than 8 hours. After 8 hours, flip it to 2 Amps.

Get the external battery for the camera. Or a BatteryMinder.

Are you really going to connect a battery charger up every night? Really.

Glad I do not need to worry about my vehicles at night. Mice are my enemy in vehicles, not people.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

When running it's charging at 14.3v so the charging system is fine, and it was load tested by the dealer when it went in for a recall and I had the battery replaced there because it's in the wheel well and forget changing that nonsense myself. Can't be bothered but the battery was toast.

Anyway according to my loading battery tester I ran on it afterward it's fully charged when shutdown and snaps back to proper voltage after a load test is applied.

I really think it's just the parasitic draw from all the junk in the car already plus this camera that it puts up with for about 8-10 hours and then shuts down when I unlock the doors because it's enough to push it over the edge at that point.

I will try a 2amp automatic charger plugged in when I first get home until the next day and see if that does it. If not I will step it up.

I appreciate everyones input.
11.gif

You still need to clue yourself into the problem(s). 12.4 v after a short time is not right. What is the draw from the cam? From the car?

12.4 v after a short time is not right. What is the draw from the cam? From the car?

FWIW, the battery on my E39 is at around 12.4V as well after a drive. It's always been like this. I get 6 years of life out of a cheap Duralast battery, so I don't think it's hurting it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back