Oil Filter Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 2000 Yamaha R1, based on this site, #5 is recommended one :

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html#5

Just did an oil and filter change, with L14610(white can) installed. Was wondering if I should keep for first 1000 miles and then change oil and filter together? Or just keep the filter for 2000 miles.

Also, can I use HONDA OEM A02 filter, instead of Purolator? 15400-plm-a02(https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-Filter-15400-plm-a02-Washer/dp/B00GUJ3Y4O)

Which one would be a better choice and are filter specification(media, filtration and anti drain)are same?

Thanks for all the help.

My Yamaha uses the same size filter. For long term, I would not use the Purolator white cans in this application. I would suggest ( in no particular order) instead using the Purolator Boss , Amsoil , Mobil 1 or factory spec Denso filters. I have opened up all of these and posted pics in the past, and found them to be better construction. The Purolator white can was fine for a low-end filter, but there are better filters out there. I have alternated between the Pure One filter and the Amsoil filter for a long time with good results. No need to toss out the Purolator can, just upgrade at next oil change.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
My Yamaha uses the same size filter. For long term, I would not use the Purolator white cans in this application. I would suggest ( in no particular order) instead using the Purolator Boss , Amsoil , Mobil 1 or factory spec Denso filters. I have opened up all of these and posted pics in the past, and found them to be better construction. The Purolator white can was fine for a low-end filter, but there are better filters out there. I have alternated between the Pure One filter and the Amsoil filter for a long time with good results. No need to toss out the Purolator can, just upgrade at next oil change.

Thanks, that's very helpful advice. Should I change L14610 at 1000 or 2000 mark? For normal street riding
smile.gif

Also, I have a Purolator Boss( Red one, I believe?) laying around too. It's same as L14610, if so, I can use it.

Any experience with Honda OEM A02 filter?

Amsoil aren't the cheapest filter but they do flow a lot of oil and catch a lot of contaminants. The construction of them is very heavy duty inside as well. Just FWIW.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Should I change L14610 at 1000 or 2000 mark? For normal street riding
smile.gif

Leave it on for 2000 miles, that's nothing for an oil filter. Unless you don't like the filter.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Fram Ultra 7317 and Wix/NAPA 1356 are the 'best' filters imho for the money.

if you have the room, the 3593A size is about the same length as the 7317, but is a larger diameter filter.

I bought a few of the TG3593A for my bike (PH6617A is the recomended Motorcycle filter, same size as a 6607, which is tiny) when they were on clearance at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back