AT tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What tire company was the first to come out with a dedicated All Terrain tire? And anyone know when?

According to this article , BF Goodrich made the first AT tire about 30 years ago
smile.gif

I recall Armstrong Norseman tires being very popular before I heard of BFG A/T's but just because I remember something doesn't necessarily make it true.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
According to this article , BF Goodrich made the first AT tire about 40 years ago
smile.gif

Fixed.
wink.gif

Forgive me because it was before my time, only 34, but was it the Dakar or the Baja 1000 that they won with an off the shelf tire that made them a household name?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
According to this article , BF Goodrich made the first AT tire about 40 years ago
smile.gif

Fixed.
wink.gif

Forgive me because it was before my time, only 34, but was it the Dakar or the Baja 1000 that they won with an off the shelf tire that made them a household name?

That I couldn't tell you. I just have a vivid memory of my older cousin (he was in high school) getting BFG All Terrain tires on his Blazer, in the late 70's.

Wouldn't the 6.00 x 16 NDT tires made by Firestone for WWII Jeeps be the first? That would be over 75 years ago.

Definitely an AT tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Wouldn't the 6.00 x 16 NDT tires made by Firestone for WWII Jeeps be the first? That would be over 75 years ago.

Definitely an AT tire.

That's a good point. I am guessing the put those on early model Jeep CJ's too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back