Catrol Edge 0w30 vs Amsoil SS 0w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my engine is a 6.2L vortec 6200 l92. In the winters here in alberta we get down to -35 degrees celcius easily, my truck and engine has alot of clicks on it rn. 330,000km to be exact so i wanna make sure im choosing a good oil. ive always ran 5w30 full synthetic but looking to try 0w30 for the winter since we get so cold. heard it will help a little for cold starts and stuff.

seems like only amsoil, redline, and castrol have 0w30. I dont really care about oil price or long intervals, i just want the best oil. easiest for me to purchase locally as im in canada is Amsoil SS 0W30 OR Castrol EDGE 0W30.. What would you guys go with?

thanks!

Petro-Canada sells a 0W-30 which user Garak has mentioned, plus ExxonMobil also has a 0W-30. You can also use a 0W-40 such as Mobil 1 or Castrol. That worked well in my BMW parked outside in northern Wisconsin.

I'd go with whatever I could get locally the cheapest. I used AFE 0W30 for a few years with no problems whatsoever.

ehh, heard the mobil 1 afe isnt as good as the two above. i dont really care about price tbh ahah, just want the best oil

Originally Posted By: apollo18
ehh, heard the mobil 1 afe isnt as good as the two above. i dont really care about price tbh ahah, just want the best oil

Ehh, I heard it was better.

On the other hand, Castrol 0W-40 carries more certifications than the other ones combined (and the M1 product almost as many). So if you want "best" I'd look there. They all meet the 0W cold cranking specification, which is what you were asking about.

What specifications does your engine require?

The synthetics today are so great I would go with whatever is decent quality at the best price. I'm in a bit of a unique position because of where I live and how things are priced here. I also need my engines to last as long as possible because I use my vehicles to generate income and the longer it runs the more money I make by not making new vehicle payments.

I have always had excellent luck with Amsoil. UOA's to back this as well as real world testing. Failing that I would choose M1 or some other decent quality synthetic and then do a UOA periodically.

Best, that's a tough one, lots of opinions, nothing factual that I've seen, proving it will be impossible. I'm subscribing to see the facts that point to the best 0W30 oil.
36.gif

While I'm not really a M1 fan, I don't think that it would do its job any less than Edge or Amsoil SSO. However, comparing those two, I guess it depends on what your definition of best is. Is it the lowest pour point? If that's the case, then the Amsoil 0W-30 specs at -50C and Edge is at -54C. By straight pour point, Edge outperforms the SSO, but both exceed the temperatures that you expect to have.

Last edited:
If we are going exclusively by low temperature performance, M1 AFE 0w-30 has an MRV of 13,250cP, which is definitely lower than the Castrol product and probably lower than the AMSOIL one; it is likely the thinnest at -40C.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
If all you want to compare is low temperature pour point, Amsoil SS 0W30 is -50C and Castrol Edge 0W30 is -60C. Noteworthy is that Amsoil 5W30 has same pour point.

Here's the data: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/66FB02D7403DC08780257FA7004CEF87/$File/BPXE-A9TNQ9.pdf

Ah, my link is the older PDS.

A UOA isn’t going to indicate what oil meets or doesn’t meet the cold-cranking specification nor will pour point (pour point has little relevance to anything). UOAs won’t show which oil is “better” either.

im guessing castrol edge it is tho? cuz of pour point? and not really sure, its a 2007 gm 6.2L L92

Ive heard some oils that are 5w30 perform like 0W30's. i THINK pennzoil ultra plaitnum is like that. is it all very similar then? or is it best to use a full 0w30

Ive heard some oils that are 5w30 perform like 0W30's. i THINK pennzoil ultra plaitnum is like that. is it all very similar then? or is it best to use a full 0w30

No. If an oil is a 0w-30, it is labelled as such. A 5w-30 does not meet the requirements for CCS and MRV to obtain the 0w-xx designation, if it did it would be a 0w-xx.

ohh makes sense, so for me wanting a 0w30 oil, i should choose between the labelled 0w30. i think ill just go with any of the two? doesnt really make a diff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back