difference between dexos and non-dexos formulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Kendall 0w20. When l went to reorder it online, l noticed that there was a Dexos and non-dexos flavor of the product with the dexos priced about 15% higher. I opted for the lower priced offering as it meets all specs for my Subaru.
I was wondering what the difference is between the two products. Are they the same formulation with the only difference being the label and higher price? Are they actually different formulations? I'm just curious more than anything.

35.gif

Long story short from some of the debates ive read...its a semi synthetic or synthetic formula designed by GM to cover their behinds on the DI engines to help u make it thru the warranty.

Actually different formulations.
The non-dexos1 contains Titanium anti-wear/friction additives, and the dexos1 does not have titanium.
Its strongly suspected that the Titanium formula went through SN and GF-5 testing long ago, even before the first generation of dexos1 came out (we are now in the 2nd generation of dexos1, known as "dexos1 Gen2"), and that recipe was frozen since then to what they offer now for non-dexos1 oil.
Then, to cover the specific GM market, the Kendall people went out and bought a dexos1 pre-certified additive package from either Lubrizol, Afton, or Oronite, and blended that package into their own base oils using BOI (base oil interchange) rules, resulting in a non-titanium dexos1 from a different additive maker.

Originally Posted By: Joe1
I have been using Kendall 0w20. When l went to reorder it online, l noticed that there was a Dexos and non-dexos flavor of the product with the dexos priced about 15% higher. I opted for the lower priced offering as it meets all specs for my Subaru.
I was wondering what the difference is between the two products. Are they the same formulation with the only difference being the label and higher price? Are they actually different formulations? I'm just curious more than anything.

Thanks for the reply. Very informative. Since you seem to have knowledge of Kendall products, l have one additional question:

Last time l purchased 0w20 in 2015, the bottle color was grey and labeled "Made in Korea”. The new delivery l received today contained red bottles labeled "Made in USA of domestic and imported components”. Any reason for the change? I thought that their group III base was sourced from s-oil in Korea. Is that still true?

Joe1, they may use different blending plants at various times. The recipe is still the same. Bottle color is just a marketing gimmick.
The Korean Konnection is interesting though.
One other thing, be careful with Subarus and high-calcium oils like most oils on the market now. I would highly recommend using "dexos1 Gen2" oil, which is just now arriving on shelves its so new. Sometimes when you order "dexos1" oils, you may get Gen1 oil, not Gen2. The dexos1 Gen2 stuff has passed a test for LSPI, the enemy we're trying to avoid. I've noticed all the Mobil1 oils made in the past few years have low-calcium formulas, so they should do fine regardless of how old-stock they are (gen1 or gen2 fine there).
See https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4012978/Forester_XT_and_WRX_Recall_-_L

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back