Will load range help sidewall roll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working from home more and not using the highway as much is nice, but not for my tires. The current set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza P275/55R20 111S all season tires have been great. They went 50k with no issues. Now, with the majority of daily use on roads with sharp corners, slopes, back roads, hills, the sidewalls have worn out almost to the belts in a few short months. Which is a shame because the tire center tread could make another winter. I have to buy tires. What should I consider for the new environment this truck operates in? Help prevent rolling on the sidewall. Does the load range matter? What tire should buy to minimize roll?

I have an 07 Dodge 1500 quad Laramie and just got new tires last week. Local tire place here recommended Falken tires for it and can take 51 psi at max load. I pull my 5th wheel with it and wanted stiffer sidewalls for better control. So far they feel great though haven't pulled trailer with them yet. Wildpeak Falken HT is what they are. Had Coopers in same size you have before. Lasted OK but were very noisey.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
I have an 07 Dodge 1500 quad Laramie and just got new tires last week. Local tire place here recommended Falken tires for it and can take 51 psi at max load. I pull my 5th wheel with it and wanted stiffer sidewalls for better control. So far they feel great though haven't pulled trailer with them yet. Wildpeak Falken HT is what they are. Had Coopers in same size you have before. Lasted OK but were very noisey.

Tire rack doesn't sell them in my size, but I did find them on a site called SimpleTire. They are XL load range, 117H. I think that means more sidewall stability, anyone know?

When I inherited my truck (see sig) it had P rated tires on it that were a about half worn down but I figured I could get a few more miles out them but corning and handling was awful, it felt like I was leaning way to far on turns and I thought the handling was bad just going down the road straight. When I put new tires on I went with LT tires which is what it calls for on the door sticker. Way better handling and corning, so ya I think it would help you.

Cooper AT3's with 50 psi is what they told me to run. Does it ride a little rough, maybe but it is a pickup.

Maybe, maybe not...my story:
My E450 came with Michelin LTX M/S E range from the factory. Due to a recall, I got a free set of LTX M/S2 this year. After installation I found the truck had a lot more flex in the tires even though they are the same load range and inflation.

I did some research and found Ford has a spec LTX tires for this fitment with different construction. I got used to the delay in steering response but it would be better with a stiffer tire.

First, that's just the way steer tires wear. You should plan on rotating tires more often as the rears (drive) tend to wear in the center.

You could try more inflation pressure in the front, but I wouldn't use more than 10 psi over the placard.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Working from home more and not using the highway as much is nice, but not for my tires. The current set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza P275/55R20 111S all season tires have been great. They went 50k with no issues. Now, with the majority of daily use on roads with sharp corners, slopes, back roads, hills, the sidewalls have worn out almost to the belts in a few short months. Which is a shame because the tire center tread could make another winter. I have to buy tires. What should I consider for the new environment this truck operates in? Help prevent rolling on the sidewall. Does the load range matter? What tire should buy to minimize roll?

The Alenza is a tire for more comfort and wear.

Get a more aggressive street tire.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearc...rearDiameter=17

Another question I was wondering about. Does it matter what PSI the tires are balanced at, or aligned at? Whoever I buy tires from will probably go by the book, which is a lot less than what I need.

Another question I was wondering about. Does it matter what PSI the tires are balanced at, or aligned at? Whoever I buy tires from will probably go by the book, which is a lot less than what I need.

Ah ..... Mmmmmm ......

No! Not balance!

However, tire uniformity (think runout and you'll be close!) does depend on inflation pressure - BUT - the machines used at the store level don't generate enough load on the road wheel to matter - assuming they are using that feature.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Ah ..... Mmmmmm ......

No! Not balance!

However, tire uniformity (think runout and you'll be close!) does depend on inflation pressure - BUT - the machines used at the store level don't generate enough load on the road wheel to matter - assuming they are using that feature.

Would a 117 load rating improve tire roll over a 111?

Would a 117 load rating improve tire roll over a 111?

Not really, but more inflation pressure will.

Why? Because the change in stiffness due to inflation pressure is so much larger than the casing stiffness, that the casing stiffness gets lost in the mud. The only time you feel it is when you are doing transients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back