Ditching favored oil for clearance oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been stoked about the QSUD & PYB HM clearance. Stoked up on ... a lot ... various grades from 0w20 to 10w40

My "favorite" oil has been Castrol Edge, followed by Pennzoil Platinum.

How do you all feel when you ditch your preferred oil for oil you got on clearance? Yes, I realize this question sounds absurd anywhere else but here LOL

Just curious because most of us are adamant about taking care of our vehicles, so I wonder if any of us feel we are betraying our cars or if we simply have learned enough that even though oils like QSUD and PYB HM may be on clearance, they are still robust oils, certified and have solid add-packs (at least the PYB HM)

The clearance oils in my vehicles sumps are better than the choices that I had 5 or 10 years ago when the vehicles were new-ish.

my used vehicles are being pampered with modern clearance oils.

I just pick something (cheapest name brand, which meets the desired spec) and stick with it. I do it out of convenience and ease (i.e., laziness.)

I'm not a clearance chaser, but if I were, I doubt brand swaping it would matter.

I don't have a brand preference, just whatever's cheap and meets specs. I'll go back and forth with dino, syn, syn blends. What I would not use is really old oil that's been sitting around for 5+ years. For example, Valvoline next gen 5w30/5w20 in many pepboys that just won't sell because they have it priced for 5.19 a quart. Or the first sm rated iteration of Castrol Edge EP. Gold bottles, but sm rated and good for 15 thousand miles. My manager said they've been there since even before she started working there. 6.20 a quart. Worth it? Maybe for the right price, but when oil is so cheap and there are rebates and clearance on newer more modern (sn gf-5) rated oils, why take the risk.

On the other hand if old sm sj sl rated oils can be had for cheap I'd put it in a beater oil burner pos car, but not my daily. All about peace of mind. I'm sure the nextgen and 7+ year old Edge would be fine in a UOA and even in a practical app, but pinching pennies to save a few bucks, nah. No amount of cheap oil could offset the cost of buying and installing a new engine.

On the other hand, if I could find some clear Quaker state bottles, I'd use them in a heartbeat. No design on the market today or in the past 10 years can compare to the old QS clear bottle.

Last edited:
Over the years I've always used oils that were on sale. I have never felt my vehicles have been slighted. I think of it more in terms they've been on a balanced diet. Same goes for filters.

Currently I refuse to pay more than $22.88 for any Full Synthetic and have gotten several much cheaper. My average cost per 5 quart Jug is well under $20.

Castrol EDGE 5W-30 Full Synthetic
Havoline ProDS Synthetic
NAPA Full Synthetic
Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30 Full Synthetic
Valvoline Full Synthetic with Max Life Technology

My car has never lodged a written complaint in 13 and a half years.

If its a branded oil, I have no issues with it. It allows me to change oil more often and keeps my mind at ease that my engine will always be clean.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
So I've been stoked about the QSUD & PYB HM clearance. Stoked up on ... a lot ... various grades from 0w20 to 10w40

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay/qt for the QSUD & PYB HM on clearance?
I bought 24 qts of QSGB on clearance(5W20&30) at AAP for $1.45/qt.

How did I do?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay/qt for the QSUD & PYB HM on clearance?

How did I do?
smile.gif

You're an undocumented criminal that's a steal!

How did I do?
smile.gif

I've got about 20 qts of 0w20 qsud for .45

Mixed prices for the about 80 qtd of qsud and pyb hm, but all in all I've paid about $70 and hope to get $42 back with mixed MIR

I doubt that it will make a bit of difference in service.
All of the name brand oils are quality products that should do just fine in actual use and most of the store brands are as well.
We all have our brand preferences, but there is rarely any compelling reason to stick with any given brand, especially when we're looking at garden variety API SN oils which are more alike than different anyway.
We may look for things like low NOACK, but formulations change without notice and yesterday's super low NOACK oil, as a couple of quarts of PYB and QSGB bought at a New Jersey Walmart were in one famous PQIA VOA, may be no better than mid-pack today.

Clearance sales are often an opportunity to get something better than what you normally use. For the next few years I'll be using nothing but heavily discounted oil of various brands and grades. Nothing in my stash was purchased at full price.

A preferred oil is usually just a compromise between quality and price.

Yeah, I don't pay full price for my oils either. I usually buy a stash of closeout oils and stock up. I stay with what I can use(0 or 5W20/5W30 maaaaaybe 10W30
smirk.gif
) and not buy any oil(15W40/20W50)just because it's cheap.

Seldom but, I have paid more than other times, e.g., I have payed le$$ for synthetic oil in certain situations, than I have for dino oil. However, I do have a goal of ~$1 for dino and ~$2 for synthetic. And I am always looking to pay le$$!
smile.gif

Yeah, I don't pay full price for my oils either. I usually buy a stash of closeout oils and stock up. I stay with what I can use(0 or 5W20/5W30 maaaaaybe 10W30
smirk.gif
) and not buy any oil(15W40/20W50)just because it's cheap.

Seldom but, I have paid more than other times, e.g., I have payed le$$ for synthetic oil in certain situations, than I have for dino oil. However, I do have a goal of ~$1 for dino and ~$2 for synthetic. And I am always looking to pay le$$!
smile.gif

Being in Florida, owning vehicles that spec 0w20 on up to 20w50, I can benefit from anything cheap. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back