Weather Stripping Adhesive Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a painted steel frame/door on my garage that has some gaps in it that allows rain inside. I have cleaned the frame and applied the weatherstripping (foam) but it keeps coming off. Is there a trick to this? I have even superglued it in certain areas where it was peeling off but it still keeps sticking to the door then peeling off when opening. Thanks for any tips.

No, its adhered to the doorstop around the door but the problem is that it keeps sticking to the door when I open it.

Did you paint the door recently?

Sounds like the paint is dry but still a little tacky when pressed firmly against the foam and this bond becomes stronger than the adhesive.

So e paints can take a month to really dry. You could expedite with a blow dryer.

Thanks for the replies. The door has been painted for months so I don't think the issue is the paint. Maybe it is the actual weatherstripping, I am using a foam weatherstripping that seems to stick to the door more than the actual adhesive sticks to the doorstop. I have sprayed the nonadhesive side with silicone lubricant spray which seems to help but dries up after a while and it continues to stick after. Maybe I need to get a rubber weatherstripping. What other adhesives can I use that are better than superglue for this application? Thanks.

Last edited:
Which side is the adhesive stuck to? The door?

I have used this product in the past but I always stick it to the door frame/jamb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back