Oil for Honda GX270 pressure washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a 3200 PSI pressure washer in the garbage with a Honda GX270 engine on it. The only thing that was wrong with it was it was hydrolocked with oil. I removed the spark plug, cranked the engine a few times to push the oil out, and it started right up and ran perfect! The motor does not leak or burn oil and has great compression. The pump works great too. My question is what type and brand of oil to use? I live in a hot climate, so I am thinking a synthetic 10w30 or 10w40 would work well. I want the engine to last as long as possible, so I would like to use the best oil that I can use. I don't have a problem paying for quality.

You'd have to use it commercially quite awhile for the engine to wear out. You'll never wear the engine out for typical home owners use. I owned a motorcycle that had a faulty petcock that let gas seep into the cylinder which hydro locked it. Oil? If you get 20 responses you will get different answers. None of us know which is best. Me? I'd like to think something that meets the Porsche A40 spec will be best. Buy a quart of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 at Advance Auto.

I use one of the Amsoil Small Engines oils (10w30 or 10w40) and their Compressor Oil ISO 100-SAE 30/40 in the pump.

A good quality straight 30 wt. changed annually (assuming just occasional use) should protect it long past when other components give out. You can use more expensive or specialized multi-viscosity oils if it suits you, but a stout SAE30 will hold up well in warm climates.

I am using valvoline vr1 10w30 syn in mine.. but I had it in the garage.

I have the Honda GX340 engine on my two wheel tractor. Bought about 7 years ago IIRC. The manual says 5w-30 or 10w-30 depending on temperatures. I assume it would be the same for the GX270. You live in a hot climate so use 10w-30. I use M1 personally.

Originally Posted By: mechjames
10w30 in engine, sae30 ND (non detergent) in pump

Why non detergent oil for the pump?

Personally, I'd use an SAE30... Supertech would be my choice. Just make sure to keep it topped up and perform routine OCIs and it should run for years and years

Use any quality oil with a high HTHS. The oil viscosity under very high temps is important in air cooled engines. That's why straight 30 is a good suggestion. Other oils with a high HTHS include 10W-40 M1 HM, 10W-40 M1 motorcycle (a superb oil) , 5W-40 M1 TDT, 15W-50 M1 and so on.

as a professional painter and owner of 5 pressure washers, i've seen that they really don't care what oils in it. i use super tech 10/30 synthetic, changes once a year. mine range from 3K psi to 4500 psi ones, little brigs engines and big honda ones. clean oil. it won't care.

If you ask for everyones vote on what oil to put in a Honda small engine and average out the results, what you'll find is that you should just put "Oil" in them. Everyone has a different opinion and they aren't wrong, it's a simple motor with a simple lubrication system and as long as it's something SAE or API rated for small engines it'll probably do an adequate job. Me personally, I use whatever I have left over from my truck which is generally some flavor or 5w-40 or 10w-30 Rotella or Mobil 1 HDEO. I can say that my 30yr old Toro got an oil change of Rotella T-6 2 years ago and gets used weekly to mow the lawn, in those two years the oil level has not changed and it is just starting to darken, same with my inherited Ariens snow blower with an old tecumseh 8hp on it.

Originally Posted By: Avery4
Originally Posted By: mechjames
10w30 in engine, sae30 ND (non detergent) in pump

Why non detergent oil for the pump?

Engine oil detergents and additives ruin the high pressure seals

I use M1 10-30 in all of my OPE including my Craftsman PW. However the most important part on the machine is the pump. I always use PW lube when I finish with using the PW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back