Blowing bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a light fixture at home that we have replaced. The first one kept blowing bulbs and finally burnt out completely. We replaced it with the same type fixture. It blows bulbs like crazy. We have the proper wattage bulbs in it. What could be the problem?

Originally Posted By: pkunk
I'd start with checking the voltage at the fixture.

+2 and the rest of your house. Could have a "loose neutral" (bad).

If you see stuff brighten and dim when you turn on the electric range/ dryer call the power company asap.

Originally Posted By: pkunk
I'd start with checking the voltage at the fixture.
+1
I once discovered 20VAC between gnd and the neutral at a neighbors house.

Are these incandescent bulbs? Move the fixture to another outlet & location as a test.

If the fixture in enclosed, the lamp may be over heating, some fluorescents bulbs with screw bases don't take
heat well in the 'overhead' position, but do well in table lamp applications.

More rare is a voltage/ wiring problem, check various outlets near the light to see that 115 /120V is between
the flat slots with one slot giving full voltage to the ground socket, the other slot (neutral) should
be 2V or less to the same ground. A selection of sockets in the house should read nearly identical
if you check them one after the other.

If you have a screw-in socket converter with an outlet, you can measure voltage in the light fixture directly safely.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

If the fixture in enclosed, the lamp may be over heating, some fluorescents bulbs with screw bases don't take
heat well in the 'overhead' position, but do well in table lamp applications.

More rare is a voltage/ wiring problem, check various outlets near the light to see that 115 /120V is between
the flat slots with one slot giving full voltage to the ground socket, the other slot (neutral) should
be 2V or less to the same ground. A selection of sockets in the house should read nearly identical
if you check them one after the other.

If you have a screw-in socket converter with an outlet, you can measure voltage in the light fixture directly safely.

Good point about the enclosure.

Also, if it is an enclosure, some LEDs will overheat and burn out quickly. Must use an LED designed for enclosures. Will state so on package.

We had an issue once at work where a 120v receptacle was actually 208v. Have to be careful with adding circuits to three-phase panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back