So What is Oil 'Scuffing'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.underhoodservice.com/gdi-syst...-intake-valves/

Since oil formulation is a work in progress, I’ll summarize by saying that oils used in GDI, particularly in turbocharged GDI (TGDI) engines, must meet much higher standards than the generic oils intended for conventional, naturally aspirated fuel-injected engines.

Oils intended for use in a GDI engine must have enough scuff resistance to protect the camshaft that drives a high-pressure mechanical fuel pump capable of developing well over 2,500 psi of fuel pressure. [color:#FF0000][/color]

I don't think scuff resistance means "oil scuffing" is a thing. I think it means the oil prevents scuffing in engine parts.

While the camshaft-driven high pressure fuel pump is an added complication, higher quality oils don't always go with DI/TGDI engines. Ford, for example, allows the use of conventional engine oils in its DI/TGDI engines.

Even GM's new Dexos1 Gen 2 spec seems aimed more at preventing LSPI than accommodating whatever extra stress a high pressure fuel pump places on an engine oil.

376990.jpg

Quote:
Oils intended for use in a GDI engine must have enough scuff resistance to protect the camshaft that drives a high-pressure mechanical fuel pump capable of developing well over 2,500 psi of fuel pressure.

I'd think they would use some kind of roller setup on the high pressure fuel pump if the stress is high on the actuating lobe.

Oil scuffing is when you bash someone else’s choice in oil to make yourself feel superior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back