Got A New Flashlight...

kb27, that looks like a useful light. It's certainly more secure than me attaching my OTR M3 to the visor of my baseball cap.
smile.gif

This came in last week... C8 XPL-HI 3A. It has an even longer beam distance than my Haikelite MT02, and weighs less than half of MT02, so it's much easier to carry around.

37355167896_85369b8c1a_o.jpg

c8.
a classic from a good mfr.
good choice.
i own several of those.
mine all have nichia 219 hi cri but one.
and i have one here ready for it when i fire up my rework station.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
mine all have nichia 219 hi cri but one.

Nice. I wouldn't mind picking up an inexpensive light with Nichia 219C in it, for photography purposes.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I wouldn't mind picking up an inexpensive light with Nichia 219C in it,

Ended up with this one...

37926145072_96468e453d_o.jpg

Haven't had a chance to use it much yet. Build quality seems nice. The clicker has a very nice firm action... kind of like a regular pen. Beam pattern is very even... no apparent hot spot, which is what I wanted.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Might have something to do with being in purchasing since the age of 14 and being director of purchasing for the largest RV company in the U.S. Suppope??

OK, but what are your purchasing criteria? If your only requirement is that it "provides light," then you should just buy a box of matches.
smile.gif

lol

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
The failure is internal to the light. When It fails it will put out 1 lumen or perhaps 5 lumens. I can leave it on in such a state and several hours later it will goto a higher brightness level and work perfectly for X amount of time, then cut out again

I would check with the manufacture to see if it powers down to prevent overheating. Some lights can get pretty hot.

Been following this for a while now and decided I want to get one that runs on a single 18650. Long story short I have a cheap LED/pointer light that a guy give me that runs on AAA and works ok but would like one a little brighter. I while back I bought a bunch of Vape stuff from a guy for cheap and there were three green Samsung INR18650-25R included along with a NiteCore-D4 charger so I figure I might as well have a flashlight that I can use these with instead of throwing AAA in the garbage, plus I don't own anything else that uses AAA.

Out of all the ones talked about here I like the Convoy S2+, it's exactly the size I would like to have so I looked at amazon and found one but not sure if it's the same as what I've seen posted here. Less than $20 with prime.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M083KDK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3PPOIMKVCJBO8&psc=1

What do you think, will this one be ok for using around the house or would you suggest ordering one from some where else?

Last edited:
Duffy, the one you linked to has 3x7135 driver... not bad, but the weakest of all Convoys.

If you insist on ordering from US, then get it from mtn electronics...
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=582

This one is 6x7135, and you can choose your preferred tint color. I prefer 3B (neutral white) personally. In addition to tint color choice, they have other body colors available, too.

Also, these have the older XML2 LED which has a floody beam pattern, and old UI (2 groups only). If you prefer more of a hot spot/more throwy beam pattern then you want the XPL HI LED. There is also a new biscotti UI (12 modes) with many more different output options available if you order from Convoy China directly.

Ive got two S2+ lights... one has xml2, and the other has xpl hi led... they are quite different, so it really depends on what you want. The xml2 is nice for walking at night or for indoors to light up a wide area at a shorter distance. The xpl hi can reach a lot further due to a more pronounced hotspot. Both are very nice lights.

Thanks QP, I ordered the blue one you linked to. They only had it in the cool white but for what I need it for and the little I use a flash light I'm sure it will work.

Sorry about that. I should have checked availability before posting.

Let us know how you like it when you get it. I run mine in group 1 to avoid the blinky modes.

My S2+ came yesterday so I had a chance to play around with a bit last night and this is a solid little light and way brighter than I imagined. The button is smooth and works just as described and it just feels well made, should last a long time if I can keep it from growing legs.

And your right QP, best to keep it in group one to avoid blinky modes.

Man, all the pretty pictures of trinkets for men are worse than propaganda. 6 months more of this, and I may splurge for something as well.

Although, my therapy has been different and steady: dumpster diving for old Silicon Graphics and SUN computers. A politically correct term for dumpster diving is 'rescue'.

A friend has an amazing collection of adjustable wrenches, one is a true piece of art from Japan.

IAPD = "It's all psychosomatic, Doctor"

Glad you like it, Duffyjr.

With a diffuser cap, it also makes for a nice lantern...

38087322086_02131b0b1f_o.jpg

Ok this is something I would use since we seem to loose power a few times a year.

After using the light for a couple days I think the lanyard that comes with this is over kill, don't get me wrong it's quality and very nice but it's to much. So the fist thing I noticed that without the lanyard it has a tendency to want to roll so I think a clip would work better for me how ever I noticed a couple different styles, one that clips on and one that screws on. I would think that the one that screws on would be better for actual use but I like the way the clip looks without the screws since I only want it to keep it from rolling.

When you guys are ordering this stuff from over seas what website do you guys prefer to order from?

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
When you guys are ordering this stuff from over seas what website do you guys prefer to order from?

If I want a Convoy, I get it from Simon (the owner) directly, which means going through aliexpress.com. He can accomodate non-standard configurations, even if they are not listed on the website.

Everything else it's either gearbest.com or banggood.com, depending on which one has a better deal/coupon code running at the time. However, it seems that banggood's free shipping method typically gets to me faster than gearbest's free shipping.

FYI, MTN Electronics sells the little diffuser caps, too.

Quote:
After using the light for a couple days I think the lanyard that comes with this is over kill, don't get me wrong it's quality and very nice but it's to much.

I put my hand through it when I walk with it at night, so that I don't drop it, and it seems fine for that purpose. But around the house, I agree, it's overkill.

Quote:
so I think a clip would work better for me how ever I noticed a couple different styles, one that clips on and one that screws on. I would think that the one that screws on would be better for actual use but I like the way the clip looks without the screws since I only want it to keep it from rolling.
Didn't your S2+ come with a standard clip in the box?

Back