MDX wrecked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife was involved in a MVA Friday in the MDX. No injuries for all parties involved. Wife and my 3yo son were in the MDX at the time. He was in his car seat middle row passenger side.

Surprisingly no airbags deployed. There is a suspension issue passenger rear. What are your thoughts on the damage? The B pillar is damaged from what little I can see. I worry about the rear suspension and all parts in that area along with the rear differential. Rear tire has a large chunk out of it. Both passenger side rims are damaged. There looks to be some cresses on the top railing above the back passenger door. Neither door opens. I can stick my hand and arm through the bottom of that back door into the cabin.

Last edited:
Total
frown.gif

The important part is your wife and son are ok. You need to have the vehicle looked at to determine all the damage. There is a chance it could be a total.

I’m very glad no one was hurt. Its just a car. It was a hectic few mins going to the scene had no idea how bad it was. Happened a half mile from the house in front of a fire station and down the street from the hospital so first responders where already there before I even got into my car.

Yea, she's done. Rough estimate 10-12k in damage, maybe more.

All that matters is that the wife and kiddo are ok!

Time to pick out a new vehicle. Your MDX did its job, taking care of your family.

We went through an accident with our Volvo 850 wagon. My wife was coming home on the freeway and got knocked through a guardrail and down a bank at freeway speed by a pickup diving for an offramp. Her car was destroyed and my wife was not injured, not a scratch other than dust in the air when the car stopped and having to climb out of the car. Her only complaints were the loud noise going through the guardrail as the windshield exploded and some stiffness from pushing on the brake pedal and hitting the road at the bottom of the bank while being hit back by the airbags. About two car lengths of this trip down a very steep bank were airborne. This crash safety stuff really works. If this was a car from the 60's or 70's she'd be dead.

It was tough accepting that fact that the car was destroyed because we took good care of it and my wife was very comfortable driving it. I had just completed the timing belt, water pump, and brakes the previous weekend. We accepted that fact that like your MDX her Volvo did its job, and she was safe.

Good to hear everyone is okay especially your son. It looks like the main impact was close to him.

I don't know about these accident estimates but if a number of posters here say it's a total then it must be. In the odd chance they would repair it, it would never be the same again. Unibodies never straighten out correctly per experience with others cars.

Looks like you will be in the market for another vehicle. Good luck and I hope you will be taken care of as far as any settlement goes.

I agree with the above.

My wife turned my 09 F150 SuperCrew too sharp in the lot and hit a mushroom shaped steel bollard. She heard the noise and stepped on the gas..... It TORE open the entire side of the truck, wheel to wheel, ugh.

Anyway, I had it repaired and the Ford dealership used all new Ford parts, including a big panel to repair the side of the cab. Repair came out looking great. But a few years down the road, the doors don't close correctly, the door seals fall off as they reused them and they clips were weakened. Etc. The repair still looks great. The functionality is obviously not the same. As the re-installed plastic trim, the seals and the fit all need attention. At this point, nobody will cover it. Plus the vehicle is worth a whole bunch less!

Last edited:
Glad everyone's ok. Interesting how the door held it structure/ shape except the skin which ripped like tinfoil. An older car would have substantially less skin damage for that size dent, or a much bigger indent for that much sheet metal trauma.

A lot of work. It will likely be totaled, a body shop will buy it at salvage rate, do the work and resell.

And if for some reason it isn't totaled, remember to toss out the words "diminished value."

This will cover some of the loss in value due to the wreck when you try to sell it, if it comes to that.

Glad that everyone's OK.

I have an 2007 mdx(similar) auction bought 4 yrs old for $18k that likely incurred similar damage before.

It had new door skins I installed which rust due to lack of proper prep steps and the back door edge is structural and has weld repair on seam that is rusting. Hope they total yours.

I live with poor body work some wind leaks but the vehicle is very reliable. $200 in unexpected repairs now with 170k miles/10 years beyond a $700 100k service of plugs , accessories belt and timing belt.

No idea who is at fault but if other party get an offer from your insurer and theirs. Someone will come in higher and take that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back