Odd transmission behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday when driving the Jetta the transmission seemed to malfunction, but it was only for a split second. I was acceleration from a stop light and I think it was right around 30 miles per hour when the transmission seemed to pause then clunked into the next gear. In my experience these transmissions (09G) are a bit clunky at low speeds, but it has never done this odd shift before. It felt almost like it couldn't decide which gear to go in then banged in, no drama after that. It is sitting at 32,000 miles now and the transmission fluid changed will be done at 40K.

OEM ATF probably needs replacement.

On a new car with ATF, I'll drain and refill at 30K miles. Lots of metal slime on the magnetic drain plug.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

On a new car with ATF, I'll drain and refill at 30K miles. Lots of metal slime on the magnetic drain plug.

This.

The first fluid change on an automatic removes the most gunk and really should be done sooner than the auto makers call for.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

This.

The first fluid change on an automatic removes the most gunk and really should be done sooner than the auto makers call for.

THAT +2

AND make sure you use the proper ATF. They are NOT all the same. AND from I checked into, your Transmission takes a very special ATF.

Last edited:
It's under warranty, right? Keep a pad of paper in the car and write down the time, date, and conditions when it happens. Let the dealer handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back