Pick one and why? Mobil 0W40 vs Castrol 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil in the Jetta in signature this weekend. Initially I picked up the 5 quart jug of Mobil One 0W40 & then put it back down & grabbed the 5 quart jug of Castrol Edge 0W40 which I used in the VW. Either one I believe is a win win but what would you have picked & why?

M1 on sale with rebate
laugh.gif

Cheapest.

I think for most applications, Castrol, new formula M1, and PUP Euro in 0w40 weights will perform pretty much identically. There was some discussion about the reformulated M1 having lost BMW LL certification and what that really meant, but they're all eminently serviceable.

At the same price, Castrol for the reason mentioned above, Mobil 1 doesn't have LL-01 certification anymore. However with the $12 Mobil rebate through the end of October, Mobil. In your case it doesn't matter so Mobil would be the way to go. In my case, I need MB 229.5 and they both have it so it's the same thing.

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus
Cheapest.

I think for most applications, Castrol, new formula M1, and PUP Euro in 0w40 weights will perform pretty much identically. There was some discussion about the reformulated M1 having lost BMW LL certification and what that really meant, but they're all eminently serviceable.

This is the correct answer.

By getting either on sale … BMW is like 2% of US market share and 40% of the sites posts.

Mobil 1 0W40 FS has the highest Film Strength of any oil tested, according to RAT 540's testing methods. Castrol's European website touts their film strength increases, but these are not born out in RAT 540's testing.

Last edited:
"115 YEARS OF PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES
Ever since our early breakthroughs in the late 19th century, Castrol has always been driven by a restless spirit of innovation and a determination to push the boundaries of what is possible - with the constant goal of developing the best engine oils.

Castrol EDGE is proud to drive the pioneer spirit of Castrol, challenging the technical frontiers of strength to progress, discover and breakthrough. We celebrate and partner with those who do the same. That's why world-leading car manufacturers continue to choose Castrol. The thrill and excitement of creating and redefining what's possible drives everything we do.
SHAPING THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY FOR WELL OVER A CENTURY
When our founder Charles Cheers Wakefield patented his first lubricant, he worked with customers and world-leading pioneers in the motorcar, motorcycle and aviation industries. That innovative, collaborative spirit has kept Castrol at the forefront of cutting-edge engine oil technology - now with the doubling in oil film strength with Castrol EDGE, our strongest ever oil.
DID YOU KNOW?
The land speed record has been broken an amazing 21 times with Castrol
Since the 1980s, Castrol has supplied NASA with lubricants for the space shuttle program
Castrol helped Concorde reach speeds of up to mach 2
Castrol reinvented motor oil by introducing additive technology, to neutralise impurities and keep engines cleaner
The TITANIUM FST™ in Castrol EDGE physically changes the way oil behaves under extreme pressures
Castrol has long been the trusted technical partner for some of the world's most demanding motorsport teams"

Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
Mobil 1 0W40 FS has the highest Film Strength of any oil tested, according to RAT 540's testing methods. Castrol's European website touts their film strength increases, but these are not born out in RAT 540's testing.

Which means what? Honestly, I've never seen a motor oil company's marketing department tout their position in his nebulous list.

I'd pick M1 0w-40 as I want my cars (non-DI) to have a steady diet of high calcium, no magnesium, no sodium oils. Castrol 0w-40 is high magesium and low calcium. It doesn't hurt that M1 is consistently on sale. The loss of LL-01 is irrelevant to me.

" now with the doubling in oil film strength with Castrol EDGE, our strongest ever oil."
Means that Castrol apparently thinks that film strength is of some importance.

" now with the doubling in oil film strength with Castrol EDGE, our strongest ever oil."
Means that Castrol apparently thinks that film strength is of some importance.

I think it is...but Rat's stuff is pure witchcraft.

Check out Amsoil's TEOST tests...Castrol rocked the field.

At any rate my pick would be Castrol...it carries more certs and IMO it's a better oil anyway. If you want to buy off the shelf at Wally's IMO there is nothing equal sitting next to it. I have used tons of various Castrol lubes for years and have been very satisfied. Never particularly cared for Mobil not that I would be the slightest bit concerned if I had to use it, in fact M1 EP was one of the oils I recommended to my son when he became interested in extended OCI's. He picked the Mobil.

To each his own.

Which ever is the cheapest. As long as you don't run it to long I doubt you, or your motor, could tell the difference.

He hasn't tested current Castrol 0w40 (or 0w30) with TI. That said, his tests don't like Castrol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back