2018 Ford F150 finally recommending 0w oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking through the 2018 F150 owners manuals I see that Ford finally has a chart for outside temperatures and oil recommendations. Before it was just 5w-20 for the non turbo engines and 5w-30 for the Ecoboost line. Its about time they got with the times and recommended 0 winter oils for their gas engines! Anyone using 0w-20 or 0w-30 in their trucks? 5.0, 3.5, 2.7? I'm considering it for my next change on my 2016 5.0 especially with winter around the corner.

Ford's recommending 0W oils ? Time to party!
25.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Ford's recommending 0W oils ? Time to party!
25.gif

Soon they rescind that and go back to 5w-30 like they did before would be where the smart money is going.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Soon they rescind that and go back to 5w-30 like they did before would be where the smart money is going.

Imagine if Ford came out with a tsb telling people to bump up the viscosity to a 20W50. I bet the BITOG server would have a total meltdown haha
laugh.gif

There's nothing wrong with a 0w-30 in a 5w-30 application, and do note that some 0w-30 options are significantly thicker than some 5w-30 options, particularly the 5w-30 varieties Ford would recommend.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Imagine if Ford came out with a tsb telling people to bump up the viscosity to a 20W50. I bet the BITOG server would have a total meltdown haha
laugh.gif

LOL!
lol.gif

If I owned one of those EcoBoost Ford pickup engines I'd certainly look carefully at a couple of UOA's. That's a lot of power from some small engines.

I run Red Line 0w-30 in my V8 4Runner that is driven a lot in the desert and tows a horse trailer on some pretty bad roads. The last UOA I posted here is an indication that I've made a good choice both in the vehicle and the oil. I would not run a Xw-20 weight oil in a work vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Garak

There's nothing wrong with a 0w-30 in a 5w-30 application, and do note that some 0w-30 options are significantly thicker than some 5w-30 options, particularly the 5w-30 varieties Ford would recommend.

Which varieties would Ford recommend?

The problem with your post is your assumption that everyone knows as much about oil as you.

Sadly, 99% of F150 owners would not know which 0w30s are thicker than which 5w30s.

If I were a current F150 owner I would have to include myself on that list.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If I owned one of those EcoBoost Ford pickup engines I'd certainly look carefully at a couple of UOA's. That's a lot of power from some small engines.

I run Red Line 0w-30 in my V8 4Runner that is driven a lot in the desert and tows a horse trailer on some pretty bad roads. The last UOA I posted here is an indication that I've made a good choice both in the vehicle and the oil. I would not run a Xw-20 weight oil in a work vehicle.

OldOneEye,

Is there a reason you need a 0w rather than just a 10w in your temperatures? Are your night time desert temps that chilly?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Ford would recommend an SN/GF-5 5w-30, an ILSAC variety, as they have for many years, of course, with their own little proprietary number, too. Something like GC 0w-30 or Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 has a significantly higher HTHS than any of those 5w-30 varieties.

Within Ford recommendations, though, something like M1 0w-30 AFE and M1 5w-30 would be functionally identical for most users, with similar HTHS.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Garak

The problem with your post is your assumption that everyone knows as much about oil as you.

Sadly, 99% of F150 owners would not know which 0w30s are thicker than which 5w30s.

If I were a current F150 owner I would have to include myself on that list.

I think your missing Garak's point. The difference between 0w30 and 5w30 is insignificant at above zero temps, with some 0w30 being slightly thicker, but still in the 30 range. The average consumer wouldn't need to discern between the two or know as much about oil as he does.
wink.gif

What is kind of interesting is that the 0W-30 Motorcraft oil is a different spec(WSS-M2C953-A1) than the 5W-30 oil. However, Mobil 1 claims their 0W-30 AFE meets the 946 standard of Ford's 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: wemay
The difference between 0w30 and 5w30 is insignificant at above zero temps, with some 0w30 being slightly thicker, but still in the 30 range.

Both are issues, that a 0w-30 synthetic GF-5 is mostly indistinguishable from a 5w-30 GF-5 in service, and, my usual statement, that if someone thinks a specific ILSAC grade is too thin, bumping up the number before the "w" while remaining in the ISLAC regime is hardly a solution to this perceived problem.

Heck, if someone thinks a 10w-30 ILSAC is too thin, there are 0w-30 options that have the HTHS of 3.5 or greater.

Originally Posted By: advocate
Looking through the 2018 F150 owners manuals I see that Ford finally has a chart for outside temperatures and oil recommendations. Before it was just 5w-20 for the non turbo engines and 5w-30 for the Ecoboost line. Its about time they got with the times and recommended 0 winter oils for their gas engines! Anyone using 0w-20 or 0w-30 in their trucks? 5.0, 3.5, 2.7? I'm considering it for my next change on my 2016 5.0 especially with winter around the corner.
Ford ain't gettin' with times they gittin' with CAFE.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
will there be a trend someday for a thinner than 0w oil like a (-) 5w x 30 oil?

0w-XX oils have a maximum MRV and CCS on SAE J300, not a minimum. So, SAE J300 would have to be revamped. As it is, no matter how thin the oil is at 0w-XX temperatures, it's automatically a 0w-XX.

Coincidentally, I have used Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 in my 2011 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboot for several years. I'm switching to PUP 5W30 because my stash of Mobil 1 dried up and I got a smoking deal on PUP at Canadian Tire (approximately $28 CAD after rebate per five litre jug). I guess I was ahead of the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back