If you were forced to use 1 motor oil for life....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had to use only one motor oil for the rest of your life you would choose...

Mine is Pennzoil Platinum.

I've been using Red Line 0w-30 for a long time with excellent UOA's. It's an American company and I buy it from a family owned and run business, Fallbrook Oil Company in Fallbrook, CA. They carry the whole Red Line inventory and offer good discounts. When I visit there the owner and his son and I solve all the world's problems until the next visit. It's more of a get together of old friends then just going shopping.

Brand....gas or diesel

I didn't consider weight really but I would think a 5-30 would cover most needs.

Last edited:
As long as Mobil offers their rebates Mobil 1 is my favorite oil
grin.gif
. Seriously with our Ford EcoBoost Explorer the lower calcium and higher magnesium additives in Mobil 1 appear more beneficial to limiting LSPI with turbo direct injected engines. And besides at Walmart, other than QSUD and SuperTech Synthetic, Mobil 1 is usually the least expensive synthetic oil, and it's usually not much more than QSUD. For now I'll stick with Mobil 1 for the EB Explorer. For my 2 older vehicles price rules using quality brand oils
thumbsup2.gif

Whimsey

In 10 or 20 years, Pennzoil may not make Platinum. It may be called something else. Its formulation may change 5 times in ten years or more. It may be bought by a big Chinese conglomerate, and made in Sri Lanka with recycled coconut oil and nuclear waste. They may not make any oils compatible with the car you drive. How could you say you would only use one oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
In 10 or 20 years, Pennzoil may not make Platinum. It may be called something else. Its formulation may change 5 times in ten years or more. It may be bought by a big Chinese conglomerate, and made in Sri Lanka with recycled coconut oil and nuclear waste. They may not make any oils compatible with the car you drive. How could you say you would only use one oil?

It is a theoretical question based on what you know and like today.

Back in the 80s this would have been the answer to a question like this for many. Wouldn't dare run it now.

API SF back then, Now its SN. I'm sure we'll see API SQ before in my lifetime and new engines that can't run without it.

Now if your question is if my current engine lasted the rest of my life if I chose the correct oil. I would say any top tier oil will be fine. M1, PP, PUP, Magnetec, Edge, Valv Syn, etc. Lots of engines ran high mileage on Dino, so running any Syn is a leg up on that.

Forced to pick one would probably be Magnetec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back