Your Biggest Motor Oil Fears

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you biggest motor oil fears?

Here are mine:

1) Draining too early
A DIY oil change costs me around $70 for 2x M1 0W40 4.4L $26, 1x oil filter $10, 13% tax. I want to get my money's worth from the oil without going too far. I get the oil change itch sometimes and have to resist it.

2) Cold flow properties in the winter
I change my oil in the Spring, so by the time winter rolls around it's been more than 6 months. We all know that used oil doesn't have as good cold flow properties as new oil, so I'm wondering if the used oil still flows ok inside the engine at cold starts.

3) OLM running down to zero in the winter.
I don't like changing the oil in the winter.

4) Not getting a quality filter if I don't change my own oil.

5) Paying for synthetic and getting dino if I don't change my own oil.

6) Spilling the oil while moving a drain pan full of oil.

7) Spilling the oil while pouring it out of the drain pan.

Just bought a new 5.3L that specs 0w20 and it’s direct injection VVT.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
What are you biggest motor oil fears?

Here are mine:

1) Draining too early
A DIY oil change costs me around $70 for 2x M1 0W40 4.4L $26, 1x oil filter $10, 13% tax. I want to get my money's worth from the oil without going too far. I get the oil change itch sometimes and have to resist it.

2) Cold flow properties in the winter
I change my oil in the Spring, so by the time winter rolls around it's been more than 6 months. We all know that used oil doesn't have as good cold flow properties as new oil, so I'm wondering if the used oil still flows ok inside the engine at cold starts.

3) OLM running down to zero in the winter.
I don't like changing the oil in the winter.

4) Not getting a quality filter if I don't change my own oil.

5) Paying for synthetic and getting dino if I don't change my own oil.

6) Spilling the oil while moving a drain pan full of oil.

7) Spilling the oil while pouring it out of the drain pan.

==========================================================================

1) As my wife is driving off to work..... Did I torque that drain plug or just snug it finger tight?????

2) I hope the caps on these used oil jugs stay on tight and the jugs don't fall over in my truck between here and the local oil recycle facility

3) I hope this "other brand" oil i found on clearance works as good as my usual full priced preferred brand.

4) Are oily spots under the motor after oil change due to sloppy work or a slow leak???....
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Ha = used to save time pulling the plug and then going right for the filter…then all this “did I tighten” ??? etc starts in …
Solution has been drain (while looking underside over with flashlight) and install plug, change filter, refill …

Last edited:
I changed to full synthetic and not 200 miles later popped an ignition coil getting fuel all down in there. Gonna run it to 3K.
mad.gif

Your number five is more of a wives tale than truth. I can guarantee that if I changed your oil at our shop, and you asked for/required synthetic, you'd get synthetic. Of course, if it really scares you, just don't let someone else change it.

I cannot say I really have any "fears or worries"

Typically, with modern oils and vehicles, if an engine [censored] the bed prematurely it's going to be based on a lack of maintenance (to include regular top off, if needed, an often overlooked maintenance item) or a poor engine design. Only one of those I can actually control.

I'm not super picky or religious with my oil and OCI, and I have yet to lose an engine. Even with the notorious chain eater that is GM 3.6 in our Buick Enclave.

Originally Posted By: koffy
Mine is loosing all my oil while driving and not catching it on time

That's what you get for riding your motorcycle to the auto parts store on a sunny day and buying 5 jugs of QSUD on special.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
1. Something about the oil I choose or my habits will promote ring coking, considering I apparently have one of the most susceptible engines. (Need more info how to minimize that risk ... )

2. Accidental used oil spill, as others have mentioned---thereby provoking actual enforcement of the no-car-maintenance rule here.

1. Are those oil spots in the drive from the drain plug, oil filter or a pan leak
2. Having draining oil miss or splash out of drain pan.
3. Pouring used oil into jugs and making a mess.

Will conventional oil keep rings and engine clean vs synthetic. I have both but prefer to use my synthetic stock first since I have doubts/fears.

Manufacturer changes the required oil filter/thread.
BTDT.

Went from SAE to metric and didn't have a new style filter
or a way to go get one.

That's what brothers are for.

My 2¢

I'm defective and end up in the hospital every now and then. My wife took one of our vehicles to a shop to have a service that included an oil change. The people at the shop know me and the owner called me up to say that the oil change was carefully done with my oil and filter, Red Line oil and a Mobil 1 filter from my stash because he knows that I ordinarily do it myself and I'd be worried about having someone else do it. I did check the level when I got home (lol).

Back in the day, I had the drain plug come out of my Honda 450 while accelerating to match freeway speeds. The stripe on the road was not all oil ...

Dealer had serviced the bike while doing some repairs. Never let a dealer do oil on a bike again ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back