Better Spray Options than Turtle Wax Ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Ice because it doesn't leave white residue on matte black plastic like fender trim and etc, but it doesn't seem to keep paint and headlight lenses slick very long.

Is there a more durable clear non-residue spray on wax/sealant I might try that doesn't cost a lot? Needs to help bugs not stick to Lexan/plexi motorcycle windshield too, and be good for headlight and tail light lens.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I like Ice because it doesn't leave white residue on matte black plastic like fender trim and etc, but it doesn't seem to keep paint and headlight lenses slick very long.

Is there a more durable clear non-residue spray on wax/sealant I might try that doesn't cost a lot? Needs to help bugs not stick to Lexan/plexi motorcycle windshield too, and be good for headlight and tail light lens.

Nope. Nothing much better. About as good as it gets, IMO.

There is no spray-on wax that will last past the first car wash. Spray-on wax may be convenient, but they just don't last at all.

Stay with the Ice. It's as good as any of this type of product.

This stuff is a compromise no matter how you look at it. Get some proper wax or sealant and donit right.

The only spot I use a spray is on wheels. Don't need harsh chenmicals, so I use a wash and wax product to safely lift dirt and leave some protective residue.

I like the Optimum spray wax, which is more like a sealant than a spray wax. That's a good thing, but it means you can't apply it every time you wash.

Also has a fairly narrow temperature range for application.

A lot of people are using Rejex, but although it sprays on, it's not like a spray wax. Also has a narrow temperature range.

Last edited:
Quote:
I like the Optimum spray wax, which is more like a sealant than a spray wax. That's a good thing, but it means you can't apply it every time you wash.

I've been doing just that for nine years on the same two cars. I don't know where you picked up that information.

A key factor is that repeated applications over time don't begin to haze the clear poly lenses of headlights or tail lights.

The idea that you shouldn't apply Optimum spray wax every wash is based on the school of hard knocks. ' course there are times when I wash every week.

Last edited:
I've been doing a lot of research on Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish over the past 24 hours or so and it seems to be getting some very positive feedback and I am hoping to make a trip to the Walmart in Niagara Falls, NY tomorrow afternoon so I can pick up a can and try it for myself! (it's not sold in Canada yet)

This stuff is supposedly Meguiar's longest lasting sealant, they claim one year but that's probably not realistic. Even if it only lasts a month or two though, it's super cheap ($12.97 at Walmart) and it only takes about 10-15 minutes to apply. You just spray it onto a microfiber towel (or sponge), wipe it onto a section of your paint and spread it around, and then immediately buff off any of the excess flashing that might be left behind (it's kinda like the application process of some ceramic coatings but less finicky). From the videos I have seen this stuff is very hydrophobic as well, the water just slides off very easily, so this stuff should help the finish look cleaner a bit longer too. I saw one video where the guy put it on half of his car that was sitting inside his shop and a few days later there was a thin layer of dust on the side that he did not put this stuff on, but on the side he treated it with, there was no dust! I have heard feedback saying it protected their paint from being etched after a huge bird bomb, and others mentioning that water spots did not etch the paint either. So this stuff appears to provide a true layer of protection! It might not be as glossy as some true waxes though, but if you clay the finish beforehand and then go over the finish with a good polish, then it should already look nice and shiny at this point and will just need protecting. Then use your favorite detailing spray afterwards to add a bit more gloss if you wish.

I like the idea of a product like this compared to your typical sealants, because I feel the typical sealants have an application process which can introduce more scratches and swirls just by the way you need to put a bit of effort into putting it on and then buffing off the dried up haze. With a spray on sealant you use very little pressure when applying it and you just lightly buff off the leftover residue.

I think these types of products are going to become even more popular as time goes on. Who wants to spend 15-20 minutes applying a wax, then waiting another 15-20 minutes for it to fully dry, and then another 15-20 minutes buffing it off when you can do the entire process in just 10-15 minutes? (and get the same level of protection too)

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
There is no spray-on wax that will last past the first car wash. Spray-on wax may be convenient, but they just don't last at all.

With different water conditions exposure and other relating factors I can say... to my surprise Ice holds up surprisingly well! Two coats even more so. Incredibly slick, shiny and beads water for several washes. But again, this is my results with this product.

You can prove this statement with scientific evidence how?

That may have been true 15 or 20 years ago but not today. I still don't think anyone has proven Meguiar's new stuff can last one year but there are people that have proven that it lasts through quite a few car washes and a few months time.

Originally Posted By: Toros

Every professional review of wax products I've ever read all say the same thing. Spray-on waxes don't last anywhere near as long as liquid or paste waxes. The first car wash are my words.

Some here mention sealants. That is not what I am referring to. They are entirely different products than spray on waxes.

Every professional review of wax products I've ever read all say the same thing. Spray-on waxes don't last anywhere near as long as liquid or paste waxes. The first car wash are my words.

Some here mention sealants. That is not what I am referring to. They are entirely different products than spray on waxes.

I'll post what I posted in another thread regarding a similar topic as it is most relevant here as well.

There is very little scientific data here or on most any forum to support that spray wax is any more or less effective than paste or liquid wax. What's the proof? Water beading and how long it keeps beading after application? Slight visual improvement, shine, luster. ....whatever. Beyond that it's entirely anecdotal evidence. When folks start adding how it smells to the discussion it makes it even less scientific. I have zero problem with any of that but no one here has proven the standard line of "spray wax is only good for interim waxing and you must apply paste wax."
Why doesn't five consecutive spray waxings not provide the same or better protection than two paste wax applications over an extended time frame? How do we know that paste wax protects any better than a name brand spray wax...especially some of the newer, more advanced products?

Unless you have the letters D and R before your name or P,H and D after your name....it's nothing but opinion. You all know some version of the expressions regarding those. smirk

I don't really expect these spray detailers to last, but if there are some that do, bonus! What I expect from them is a quick and easy way to spruce up the shine from the sealant that's already on the paint. When I first do a vehicle, I will start by washing, then using a clay bar. Then I apply a wax/sealant that I know will last a long time. I like Collinite 845. Spray detailers build on the Collinite, making it look good and adding protection. If the only protection I was using on my paint was a quick detailer, I wouldn't expect it to last for more than one washing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back