Limiting power steering assist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Is there a way to limit the level of assist power steering provides?

I saw some people limiting the amount of PS fluid going into the pump for this but I am not sure if this may cause problems in the long run?

What would happen if some of those fins from inside the pump were removed?

Old Hondas used to have a control valve on the gearbox, they had less power assist at road speed, more for parking.

Reducing the amount of fluid in the ps system will cause problems eventually, the same as any hydraulic system with insufficient fluid.

IMO you'd need a different pump with a lower pressure output.

Removing fins would reduce volume as well as pressure so not a good option.

Complete conjecture here, you've been warned.
What about a pulley for the PS pump that slows the pump down? You would have to work out the size of the pulley compared to original and keep an eye on the ratio to the crank pulley. This could in theory make your steering feel less light but could also affect how quickly the PS system recovers from left to right turning motions.

Originally Posted By: Spetz
Hi everyone,

Is there a way to limit the level of assist power steering provides?

I saw some people limiting the amount of PS fluid going into the pump for this but I am not sure if this may cause problems in the long run?

What would happen if some of those fins from inside the pump were removed?

I have done this to tracked cars in the past. It can help with the system overheating and can improve the "feel", just remember that it is a mirage. It's really just heavier.

Where it seems risky to me is on the street. If you need a QUICK transient there may be no power assist and it will feel like you hit a wall.

Hydraulic power steering spends most of its time in bypass. It has to be strong enough to let you parallel park at idle. If you reduce the pump output it'll be terrible at idle and not much different at speed.

If you want "better road feel" look elsewhere.

How do we know this clunker doesn't have bad, loose ball joints etc?

Originally Posted By: Spetz

WHAT? That's terrifying. Sounds like how to cause PS pump failure 101.

On older GM recirculating ball PS systems you could adjust the assist level by changing the spool valve. On modern EPS systems it can only be adjusted via software.

I had a set up on my '97 Taurus SHO that would kill the PS sensor at WOT. It would reduce the variable assist. The older SHOs had a stepper motor that would change with speed. Many would get it to the level off assist (by speed) they wanted and kill it there providing a stiffer steering all the time.

ditto spool valve. or changing the torsion bar inside the spool valve. I have a feeling it's a part which can be sourced with enough research.

Originally Posted By: 555
Complete conjecture here, you've been warned.
What about a pulley for the PS pump that slows the pump down? You would have to work out the size of the pulley compared to original and keep an eye on the ratio to the crank pulley. This could in theory make your steering feel less light but could also affect how quickly the PS system recovers from left to right turning motions.

I would think you would want more assist parking than at speed . Therefore , changing the pully size would seem to reduce pressure when the engine id rotating slowly and tou need it most ?

Wyr
God bless

Increasing castor does nothing for tire wear. It makes the car more stable at speed. It also makes it harder to steer when parked but with PS that's not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back